White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
NORTH ERPINGHAM HUNDRED
Is in the Liberty of the Duchy of Lancaster. It extends about twelve miles from east to west, along the sea-coast, and averages six miles in breadth from north to south; being bounded by Holt Hundred and South Erpingham on the west; by the latter on the south; and by Tunstead on the east. The soil is generally a fertile loam, with substrata of marl and chalk lime, except at the east end, where a light sand prevails, but thrown up like the rest into a picturesque succession of hills, some of which are covered with thriving plantations; indeed, there is in every direction much timber in the fences, giving to the whole a pleasing sylvan appearance, which is finely contrasted by the white cliffs and marine views in the vicinity of Cromer and Mundesley,- the most fashionable bathing-places in Norfolk.
Though the coast in this district rises generally in bold swells or perpendicular cliffs of chalk, flint, sand, and gravel, it suffers continually from the wasting incursions of the ocean, which are said to average about one yard in breadth along the whole beach, where many houses have been washed down in the memory of the present inhabitants; and Shipden (off Cromer,) with some other parishes on record, were totally engulfed in the sea several centuries ago. From the friable nature of the cliffs, and a want of unanimity among the landowners, the artificial means taken here for the purpose of reducing the wasting influence of the mighty waters, have been less efficient than those adopted on other parts of the coast.
In the reign of Elizabeth, under the apprehension of invasion, a depot of military stores was placed in every Hundred; and that in North Erpingham consisted of 400lbs. of powder, 600 of matches, 270 of lead, 30 pick axes, 30 shod shovels, 30 bare shovels, 9 axes, 300 baskets, and 5 beetles. This Hundred forms the Deanery of Repps, in the Archdeaconry of Norfolk; and its magistrates holds Petty Sessions on every alternate Monday, at the New Inn, Cromer, and have for their clerk Mr. R. Cooch, of Cromer.
It contains 32 parishes, of which the following is an enumeration, shewing their population in 1841, the annual value of their lands and buildings, as assessed to the county rate in 1843, and their territorial extent.
|Beckham (East) +||56||652||714|
|Beeston Regis +||265||728||740|
|North Repps *||603||3014||2541|
|South Repps *||813||3186||2018|
[There is more information about individual parishes]
@ The population of the Hundred, in 1831, was 10,160. Its annual value assessed to the Property Tax, was £35,543, in 1815, and £53,867, in 1842. It is in Aylsham Police Division.
Gimingham includes 68, and Sherringham 70 persons in the Union Workhouses. When the census was taken, 50 fishermen were absent from Sheringham. Cromer returns included 50 visitors, but 28 fishermen were absent.
+ ERPINGHAM UNION.-- The nine parishes marked * had an incorporated House of Industry, at Gimingham; and the nine marked thus + had one at Sherringham, but these are now the workhouses of Erpingham Union, which comprises all the 32 parishes of North Erpingham Hundred; 14 parishes in Holt Hundred, (see p. 733;[this is Holt Hundred description]) North Walsham, in Tunstead Hundred; and Baconsthorpe and West Beckham, in South Erpingham Hundred. These 49 parishes comprise an area of 104 square miles, or 63,638 acres, and had 20,513 inhabitants, in 1841, of whom 9934 were males, and 10,579 females. Their average annual expenditure from 1832 to 1835, before the formation of the Union, was £16,532. In 1838, it was only £8968; and in 1839, £9547. Their expenditure solely on in and out-door poor was £8348, in 1839; £8368, in 1842; and £2385, in the quarter ending September, 1844. The old Workhouses at Gimingham and Sherringham were adopted as the Union houses, after being altered at the cost of about £1500. They were built in 1805, and the former has room for upwards of 260, and the latter for more than 100 paupers. The aged and infirm are sent to the latter.
The masters and matrons are Mr. and Mrs. Rix, at Gimingham; and Mr. and Mrs. Bird, at Sherringham. Mr. J. S. Plumbly, of Southrepps, is union clerk; Jph. Covell, of Runton, is superintendent registrar: and Mr. C. W. Hotson, auditor. Seven surgeons are employed by the Union. The relieving officers are, Mr. H. T. Murrell, of Southrepps, and Mr. T. Murrell, of Sustead. The former is registrar of the North Walsham District; the latter for Cromer District; and Mr. J. Banks, of Holt, for Holt District.
Some placenames in the transcription (of pages 748 to 750) above are given below together with their standard spelling :-
Barningham Norwood/North Barningham, Beckham (East)/East Beckham, North Repps/Northrepps, Sherringham/Sheringham, South Repps/Southrepps
For more information see :-
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.