White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
Is a fertile and well-wooded district, about 8 miles in length, and 6 in breadth, bounded on the north by the County of the City of Norwich, and Forehoe Hundred; on the west, by the latter; on the south, by Depwade; and on the east, by Henstead Hundred.
It is crossed by the Norwich and Brandon Railway, and by four excellent turnpike roads, and forms the Deanery of Humbleyard, in the Archdeaconry of Norfolk.
Its Petty Sessions are held on the first and third Wednesdays of every month: on the former day, at the Queen's Head, Hethersett; and on the latter day, at the World's End, Mulbarton. Mr. George Elward (sic) Simpson, of Norwich, is clerk to the magistrates.
The following enumeration of the 19 parishes of Humbleyard shews their population in 1841, the annual value of their lands and buildings, as assessed to the County Rate in 1843, and the territorial extent, in assessable acres.
[There is more information about individual parishes]
* Swainsthorpe return included 93 in the Henstead Union Workhouse.
+ Flordon, Hethel, and Newton-Flotman, are in Long Stratton Police Division; and all other parishes are in Catton Police Division.
@ The population of the Hundred, in 1831, was 5411. Its annual value, as assessed to the property tax, was £27,280, in 1815, and £41,774 in 1842.
HENSTEAD UNION consists of 37 parishes, embracing the whole of Humbleyard and Henstead Hundreds, except Yelverton. It extends over an area of 65 square miles, and had 11,381 inhabitants in 1841, of whom 5674 were males, and 5707 females. The average annual expenditure of the 37 parishes, from 1832 to 1835, was £10,231. In 1838, it was £8880; and in 1839, £6931. Their expenditure, solely on the in and out door poor, was £5118, in 1840, and £4784 in 1842.
The UNION WORKHOUSE, at Swainsthorpe, was built in 1835, at the cost of £6200, and has room for 370 paupers, but had only 162 inmates in Dec. 1844. Mr. Thos. Waters, of Norwich, is Union Clerk; and Mr. Thomas Faulkner is Supt. Registrar and Master of the Workhouse. The relieving officers are, Mr. W. Whiting, for Henstead, and Mr. Ezra Parr, for Humbleyard. The district registrars are, Mr. W. Whiting, for Henstead, and Mr. Mark Bean Petchell, of Mulbarton, for Humbleyard. The Rev. E. S. Dixon, is the chaplain; and the surgeons are, Messrs. Merry, Dixon, Gowing, and Tunaley.
- Some placenames in the transcription (of page 692) above are given below together with their standard spelling :-
Carlton (East)/East Carlton, Merkshall/Markshall or Mattishall Heath, Melton Great/Great Melton, Melton Little/Little Melton
- The hundred name is also seen spelt as "Humilyard" in some documents.
For more information see :-
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.