Norfolk: Gazetteers and Directories
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
GENERAL HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION OF THE
COUNTY OF NORFOLK
PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISIONS
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISIONS. - These divisions, for holding special and petty sessions, are in general based upon the hundreds and other old county sub-divisions.
Text and table showing areas and populations to be transcribed.
The following is an enumeration of the places in each division:-
- BLOFIELD AND WALSHAM
- Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St. Andrew, Burlingham St. Edmund, Burlingham St. Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Hassingham, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Plumstead Great, Plumstead Little, Postwick, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe-next-Norwich, Witton. Acle, Beighton, Halvergate, Hemblington, Moulton, Ranworth-with-Pansworth [sic], Reedham, Tunstall, Upton-with-Fishley, Walsham South, Wickhampton, Woodbastwick.
- Barton-Bendish, Bexwell, Boughton, Crimplesham, Denver, Dereham West, Downham Market, Fincham, Fordham, Hilgay, Holme-next-Runcton, Markham [sic], Outwell (Norfolk), Roxham, Runcton South, Ryston, Shouldham, Shouldham Thorpe, Southery, Stoke Ferry, Stow Bardolph, Stradsett, Tottenhill, Upwell (Norfolk), Welney (Norfolk), Wallington and Thorpland, Watlington, Wereham, Wimbotsham, Wormegay, Wretton, part of the parishes of Feltwell and Methwold, and Redmere.
- Ashwellthorpe, Aslacton, Bunwell, Carleton Rode, Forncett St. Mary, Forncett St. Peter, Fritton, Fundenhall, Hapton, Hardwick, Hempnall, Morningthorpe, Moulton St. Michael, Shelton, Stratton St. Mary, Stratton St. Michael, Talconestone [sic, ie Tacolneston], Tasburgh, Tharston, Tibenham, Wacton Magna and Parva.
- Bressingham, Burston, Dickleburgh, Diss, Fersfield, Frenze, Gissing, Roydon, Scole or Osmondiston, Shelfanger, Shimpling, Thelveton, Thorpe Parva, Tivetshall St. Margaret, Tivetshall St. Mary, Winfarthing.
- Alburgh, Billingford, Brockdish, Denton, Earsham, Langmere, Mendham (part of), Needham, Pulham St. Mary Magdalen or Pulham Market, Pulham St. Mary the Virgin, Redenhall, Harleston, Rushall, Starston, Thorpe Abbott, Wortwell.
- ERPINGHAM NORTH
- Aldborough, Antingham, Aylmerton, Baconsthorpe, Barningham-Norwood, Barningham Winter or Town, Beckham East, Beckham West, Beeston Regis, Bessingham, Cromer, Felbrigg, Gimingham, Gresham, Gunton, Hanworth, Knapton, Matlask, Metton, Mundesley, Northrepps, Overstrand, Plumstead, Roughton, Runton, Sherringham, Sidestrand, Southrepps, Suffield, Sustead, Thorpe Market, Thurgarton, Trimingham, and Trunch.
- ERPINGHAM SOUTH
- Alby, Aylsham, Barningham, Barningham Parva, Belaugh, Blickling, Booton, Brampton, Burgh St. Mary, Buxton, Calthorpe, Cawston, Colby, Coltishall, Corpusty, Erpingham, Hautbois Magna, Hevingham, Heydon, Ingworth, Irmingland, Itteringham, Lammas-with-Hautbois Parva, Mannington, Marsham, Oulton, Oxnead, Saxthorpe, Scottow, Skeyton, Stratton-Strawless, Swanton-Abbott, Thwaite All Saints, Tuttington, Wickmere, Wolterton.
- Alderford, Bawdeswell, Billingford, Bintry or Bintree, Brandistone, Bylaugh, Elsing, Foulsham, Foxley, Guestwick, Guist, Hackford-next-Reepham, Haveringland or Haverland, Hindolveston, Kerdiston, Lyng, Morton-on-the-Hill, Reepham, Ringland, Sall, Sparham, Swannington, Themelthorpe, Thurning, Twyford, Weston-Longville, Whitwell, Witchingham Great, Witchingham Little, Wood Dalling, Wood Norton.
- FLEGG (EAST AND WEST)
- Caister-next-Yarmouth, Filby, Mantby [sic, ie Mautby], Ormesby St. Margaret-with-Scratby, Ormesby St. Michael, Runham, Runham Vauxhall, Stokesby-with-Herringby, Thrigby, Yarmouth Great. Ashby-with-Oby, Billockby, Burgh St. Margaret, Clippesby, Hemsby, Martham, Repps-with-Bastwick, Rollesby, Somerton East, Somerton West, Thirne or Thurne, Winterton.
- Barford, Barnham Broom, Bawburgh, Bowthorpe, Brandon Parva, Carleton Forehoe, Colton, Cossey or Costessey, Coston, Crownthorpe, Deopham, Easton, Hackford, Hingham, Honingham, Kimberley, Marlingford, Morley St. Botolph, Morley St. Peter, Runhall, Welborne, Wicklewood, Wramplingham, Wymondham Parish comprising Downham, Market Street, Silfield, Suton, Town Green, Wattlefield.
- FREEBRIDGE LYNN
- Anmer, Ashwicken, Babingley, Bawsey, Bilney West, Castle Acre, Castle Rising, Congham, Dersingham, Flitcham-with-Appleton, Gayton, Gayton-Thorpe, Gaywood, Grimstone, Harpley, Hillington, Leziate, Massingham Great, Massingham Little, Middleton, Mintlyn, Newton (West), Pentney, Roydon, Runcton North with Hardwick, Sandringham, Setchey, Walton (East), West Acre, Winch East, Winch West, Wolferton, Wootton North, Wootton South.
- FREEBRIDGE MARSHLAND
- Clenchwarton, Emneth, Lynn North St. Edmund, Lynn West St. Peter, Terrington St. Clement, Terrington St. John, Tilney All Saints, Tilney cum Islington, Tilney St. Lawrence, Walpole St. Andrew, Walpole St. Peter, Walsoken, Walton West, Wiggenhall St. Germans, Wiggenhall St. Magdalen [sic], Wiggenhall St. Mary the Virgin, Wiggenhall St. Peter, Wingland.
- Alethorpe, Bagthorpe, Barmer, Barsham East, Barsham North, Barsham West, Broomsthorpe, Croxton, Dunton, Fakenham, Lancaster, Fulmodestone, Helhoughton, Hempton, Houghton, Kettlestone, Pensthorpe, Pudding Norton, Raynham East, Raynham South, Raynham West, Rudham East, Rudham West, Ryburgh Great, Ryburgh Little, Sculthorpe, Shereford, Snoring Little, Stibbard, Syderstone, Tatterford, Tattersett, Testerton, Toft Trees.
- GREENHOE (NORTH)
- Barney, Binham, Cockthorpe, Egmere, Field Dalling, Hindringham, Holkham, Houghton-in-the-Dale, Quarles, Snoring Great, Stiffkey, Thursford, Walsingham Great, Walsingham Little, Warham All Saints, Warham St. Mary, Wells-next-the-Sea, Wighton.
- GREENHOE (SOUTH)
- Bodney, Bradenham East, Bradenham West, Caldecot, Cockley-Cley, Cressingham Great, Cressingham Little, Foulden, Gooderstone, Hilborough, Holme-Hale, Houghton-on-the-Hill, Narborough, Narford, Necton, Newton-by-Castleacre, Oxborough, Pickenham North, Pickenham South, Shingham, Southacre, Sporle-with-Palgrave, Beechamwell, Swaffham.
- Buckenham-near-Tofts (or Parva), Colveston, Cranwich, Croxton, Feltwell St. Mary and St. Nicholas, Hockwold-cum-Wilton, Igborough, Lynford, Methwold, Mundford, Northwold, Whittington, Santon House, Stanford, Sturston, Tofts West, Weeting-with-Broomhill, Didlington, Langford.
- GUILTCROSS AND SHROPHAM
- Banham, Blo-Norton, Garboldisham, Gasthorpe, Harling (East), Harling (West), Kenninghall, Lopham (North), Lopham (South), Quiddenham, Riddlesworth, Rushford (part of), Snare Hill, Attleborough, Besthorpe, Brettenham, Bridgham, Buckenham (New), Buckenham (Old), Eccles, Ellingham (Great), Hargham, Hockham, Illington, Kilverstone, Larling, Rockland All Saints, Rockland St. Andrew, Roudham, Shropham, Snetterton, Wilby, Wretham (East), Wretham (West).
- HAPPING AND TUNSTEAD
- Brumstead, Catfield, Eccles, Happisburgh, Hempstead, Hickling, Horsey-next-the-Sea, Ingham, Lessingham, Ludham, Palling-near-the-Sea, Potter-Heigham, Ruston (East), Stalham, Sutton, Walcott, Waxham, Ashmanhaugh, Bacton, Barton Turf, Beeston St. Lawrence, Bradfield, Crostwight, Dilham, Edingthorpe, Felmingham, Honing, Horning, Hoveton St. John, Hoveton St. Peter, Irstead, Neatishead, Paston, Ridlington, Sco Ruston or South Ruston, Sloley, Smallburgh, Swafield, Tunstead, Walsham North, Westwick, Witton, Worstead.
- Bale, Blakeney, Bodham, Briningham, Brinton, Brisley, Cley-next-the-Sea, Edgefield, Glandford-with-Bayfield, Gunthorpe, Hempstead, Holt, Hunworth, Kelling, Langham, Letheringsett, Melton Constable with Burgh Parva, Morston, Salthouse, Saxlingham, Sharrington, Stody, Swanton Novers, Thornage, Weybourne, Wiveton.
- LODDON AND CLAVERING
- Alpington, Ashby, Bedingham, Broome, Carleton St. Peter, Chedgrave, Claxton, Ditchingham, Hardley, Hedenham, Hillington, Kirstead, Langley, Loddon, Mundham, Seething, Sisland, Thurton, Thwaite St. Mary, Topcroft, Woodton, Yelverton. Aldeby, Brooke, Burgh Apton, Burgh St. Peter, Ellingham, Geldeston, Gillingham All Saints, Gillingham St. Mary, Haddiscoe, Hales, Heckingham, Howe, Kirby-Cane, Norton-Subcourse, Raveningham, Stockton, Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe, Thurlton, Toft Monks, Wheatacre All Saints.
- MITFORD AND LAUNDITCH
- Southbergh, Cranworth, Dereham (East), Garvestone, Hardingham, Hockering, Letton, Mattishall, Mattishall Bergh, Reymerston, Shipdham, Thuxton, Tuddenham (East), Tuddenham (North), Westfield, Whinbergh, Wood Rising, Yaxham. Beeston-next-Mileham, Beetley, Bilney (East), Bittering Parva, Brisley, Colkirk, Dillington, Dunham (Great), Dunham (Little), Elmham (North), Fransham (Great), Fransham (Little), Gateley, Gressenhall, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempston, Lexham (East), Lexham (West), Litcham, Longham, Mileham, Oxwick, Pattersley, Rougham, Scarning, Stanfield, Swanton-Morley, Tittleshall-with-Godwick, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St. Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Whissonsett, Worthing.
- SMITHDON AND BROTHERCROSS
- Barwick, Bircham (Great), Bircham Newton, Bircham Tofts, Brancaster, Choseley, Docking, Fring, Heacham, Holme-next-the-Sea, Hunstanton, Ingoldsthorpe, Ringstead (Great), St. Andrew and St. Peter, Sedgeford, Shernborne, Snettisham, Stanhoe, Thornham, Titchwell, Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Norton, Burnham Overy, Burnham Thorpe, Burnham Sutton-cum-Burnham Ulph, Burnham Westgate, Creake (North), Creake (South), Waterden.
- Arminghall, Bixley, Bramerton, Caister St. Edmunds, Framingham-Earl, Framingham Pigot, Holverstone, Kirby-Bedon, Poringland, Rockland St. Mary, Saxlingham Nethergate, Saxlingham Thorpe, Shottesham All Saints, Shottesham St. Mary and St. Martin, Stoke-Holy-Cross, Surlingham, Trowse Newton, Whitlingham, Bracon-Ash, East Carleton, Colney, Cringleford, Dunston, Flordon, Hethel, Hethersett, Intwood, Keswick, Ketteringham, Markshall, Melton Magna, Melton Parva, Mulbarton, Newton-Flotman, Swainsthorpe, Swardeston, Wrenningham.
- Attlebridge, Beeston St. Andrew, Catton, Crostwick, Drayton, Felthorpe, Frettenham, Hainford, Hellesdon, Horsford, Horsham St. Faith, Horstead, Newton St. Faith, Rackheath, Salhouse, Spixworth, Sprowston, Taverham, Wroxham.
- Ashill, Breckles, Carbrooke, Caston, Ellingham (Little), Griston, Merton, Ovington, Rockland St. Peter, Saham Toney, Scoulton, Stow Bedon, Thompson, Threxton, Tottington, Watton.
See also White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
and Towns and Parishes where there are links to most of these places.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.