"GELDESTON, or Geldestone, on an acclivity above the Waveney, 2½ miles W.N.W. of Beccles, and 6 miles S.S.E. of Loddon, has in its parish 386 souls, and 819A. of land, mostly the property of John Kerrich, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a modern white brick mansion, in a pleasant and well-wooded park. . . . Here are several malt-houses, a large brewery, and a staith, with a navigable cut to the Waveney. H.G. Dowson, Esq., the Rev. G. Hart, and others have estates here.The Church (St. Michael,) has a round tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831 at £196, in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. John Mainwaring, for whom the Rev. E.J. Jones officiates." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Geldeston is about 4 miles E.N.E. of Bungay (which is in Suffolk).
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Geldeston to another place.
Geldeston is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Geldeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM391919 (Lat/Lon: 52.472377, 1.518603), Geldeston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)