"GILLINGHAM ALL SAINTS and ST. MARY, now form one consolidated parish, comprising 404 souls, 1962 acres, and the pleasant village of Gillingham, adjoining the marshes on the north side of the Waveney, 1 mile N. of Beccles, and 16 miles S.E. of Norwich. The parish is mostly in J. Kerrich, Esqr.'s manor of Stockton-with-the-Soke; but a great part of the soil belongs to Miss Schutz, and her sister, now Lady George Beresford. . . . Winston and Windale, two decayed parishes, have long been lost in the bounds of Gillingham; and the boundary of All Saints and St. Mary's is but little known; the two rectories, valued in the King's Book at £10. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £564, being consolidated in 1748, when All Saints' church was taken down, except the tower, which is now thickly mantled with ivy. Its burial ground is still used. St. Mary's Church, on the opposite side of the road, is a fine specimen of Norman architecture, with a square tower, rising in the centre, and containing three bells. The rectory is in the patronage of Miss Schutz and Lady G. Beresford; but the Rev. John Lewis, the present incumbent, has purchased the next presentation." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
The church of All Saints was demolished in the 18th century.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gillingham to another place.
Gillingham is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Gillingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM410918 (Lat/Lon: 52.470913, 1.546927), Gillingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)