"GRIMSTON is an extensive parish of scattered houses, 1¾ miles from the Grimston Road station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 106 from London and 7 east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Bartholomew is a spacious edifice in the Early English style, has a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, a loft square embattled tower containing 6 bells and a porch: it contains a good stained window, representing Paul before Felix. The register dates from the year 1552. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, in the gift of the President of Queen's College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. John Fowler M.A. of that college.“ [Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk (1883) - Transcription copyright © E.C. “Paddy” Apling]
The name may also be spelled Grimstone.
It includes the hamlet of Pott Row.
See also Griston.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Norfolk, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Botolph.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grimston to another place.
Grimston is in Freebridge Lynn hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Grimston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Freebridge Lynn Registration District, 1836 and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF719225 (Lat/Lon: 52.773174, 0.546311), Grimston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Grimston Church Hill School
- Picture of the school.
- Charity Commission for England and Wales
- Scheme dated 17th March, 1888, for the administration of the Grimston School Trust, Norfolk.
[London, Printed by Shaw and Sons, 1888]