William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GRISTON, 2 miles S.E. of Watton, has in its parish 227 souls and 1360A. of land, mostly the property of Mrs. Barker, lady of the manor of Griston Hall; besides which here is a small rectorial manor, of which the Bishop of Ely is lord, being impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £202, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Hepworth, B.A. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1839 for £170 per annum, and the vicar has also £12 yearly from the tithes of Watton and Thompson. Geo. Franklin, Esq., is lessee of the rectory.
The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a large structure, with a lofty tower, rebuilt in 1477. The north window has a curious painting representing a priest preaching to a large congregation. The pulpit and a few of the pews are richly carved, and in the chancel is an antique stall.
The Fuel Allotment, 50A. 1R. 11P., awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is let for £123 a year, which is distributed in coals and clothing. The poor have 18s. 4d. yearly, left by Edward Goffe, and another donor.
Griston Hall, now a farm house, was formerly decorated with carvings representing the various incidents in the popular story of "The Children in the Wood," who are said to have lived here, and to have been murdered by order of their uncle, in Wayling, or Wayland Wood, in Watton parish, where the Hundred Court was anciently held.
Clark James vict., Waggon and Horses
Hepworth Rev. Wm., B.A. vicar
Hunter Geo. pork butcher
Osborn John shopkeeper
Those marked * are owners.
Allday John * Osborn Borrett
Baldry Geo. * Osborn Robt.
Burt Robt. Raynor John
Cook Isaac * Rust John
Edwards Robt. Warman Robt.
Hipkin Jas. Warman Wm.
See also the Griston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.