William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GRISTON, 2 miles S.E. of Watton, is a parish in Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Wayland petty sessional division, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Breccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 268 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1360 acres, and has a rateable value of £2569.
The soil mostly belongs to Lord Walsingham. E.R. Grigson, Esq., of Griston hall, is lord of the manor; but Thomas Rackham and Thomas Knights, Esqrs., and some smaller owners, have estates here. The Bishop of Norwich is lord of the rectorial manor. Griston hall, now a farmhouse, was formerly decorated with carvings representing the various incidents in the popular story of 'The Children in the Wood,' who are said to have lived here, and to have been murdered by order of their uncle, in Wayling, or Wayland Wood, in Watton parish, where the Hundred Court was anciently held.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a large edifice, comprising nave, chancel, north porch, and square tower with three bells. It was rebuilt in 1477, and contains a handsome screen. The north window had a curious painting representing a priest preaching to a large congregation. The pulpit and a few of the pews are richly carved.
The Bishop of Norwich is patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7 8s. 9d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Andrew, B.A. A new vicarage house was erected in 1882, at a cost of £1750, towards which the Commissioners contributed £750, and £300 was obtained from Queen Anne's Bounty. There is a tithe rent-charge of £250 a year from this parish, and £12 from the tithes of Watton and Thompson parishes.
The Primitive Methodists erected a chapel here in 1877. The SCHOOL was built in 1862, and there are 44 children on the books.
In 1860 Miss Barker left £1000 to the vicar and churchwardens, in trust, to distribute the interest amongst the poor. The fuel allotment, 60A. 1R. 11P., awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is let for 30s. an acre, but the Railway Co. took a portion of the allotment, which is distributed in coals, clothing, &c. The poor have 18s. 4d. yearly, left by Edward Goafe and another donor.
POST LETTERS from Watton arrive at 8 a.m. Pillar letter-box cleared at 5.20 p.m., Sundays 8 a.m. Watton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Andrew Rev. Henry, B.A. vicar, The Vicarage
Bambridge Fairfax farmer and land agent to H. Hemsworth
Bambridge George farmer & builder
Barnham Hy. Geo. farmer, Park farm
Bell Richard beerhouse
Breeze John farmer
Chapman Benjamin wheelwright
Chapman Samuel parish clerk
Crawford Stephen farmer
Knights Henry farmer
Osborn John grocer, draper, and assistant overseer
Smith James blacksmith and innkeeper, Wagon & Horses
Sturman John farmer
Welcher John farmer, Griston hall
Welcher William farmer, Griston hall
Woodcock William farmer
Wright James machinist
See also the Griston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.