William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GUNTHORPE, 5 miles W.S.W. of Holt, has in its parish 334 souls, and 1087 acres of land, belonging partly to Sir Charles Chad, the Rev. S. Brereton, and C. and J. Winn; but mostly to the Rev. John Hy. Sparke, M.A., the patron and incumbent of the rectory, who resides at Gunthorpe Hall, a handsome mansion, with a well-wooded lawn and small lake.
The Church (St. Mary,) has a fine tower, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13, and in 1831, at £546, with that of Bale annexed to it, has 23A. 25P. of glebe. The tithes of Gunthorpe were commuted, in 1839, for £317. 18s. per annum, besides £2. 2s. from 6A. tithable to Sharrington.
The poor have 25s. a year out of Malthouse Pightle, left by Cphr. Ringer, in 1678, and Jno. Towne, in 1777.
Bridges Wm. druggist and blacksmith Dubble James shoemaker [see note below] Farrow John miller and baker Fitt Edward shoemaker [see note below] Lynn Sarah shopkeeper Payne Porter wheelwright Payne Robert tailor Porter Henry vict., Cross Keys Porter Robert schoolmr. and shopkeeper Sparke Rev. John Henry, M.A. rector, Hall farmers. Barrett Wm. Pegg Paul Easton Robert Porter Gould England Chamberlin Sands John Livick Cphr. Winn Israel and Chas. Massingham Jas.
Note: in the original this is
James Dubble and Edward Fitt, shoemakers
See also the Gunthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.