William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HAINFORD, or Haynford, 6½ miles N. of Norwich, is a large straggling village, in St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, Taverham petty sessional division and hundred, Norwich bankruptcy district, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 629 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1760 acres, and has a rateable value of £2653.
The Hall, an ancient brick building with extensive and pleasant grounds, is the seat of Wm. Brown, Esq., and E.P. Middleton, and some smaller owners have estates here, but the greater part of the soil and the manorial rights belong to C.R. Marsham, Esq.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a cruciform building of brick, with lancet-shaped windows, and a small bell-cot; and was built in 1840 at a cost of £1200. The old church was about half a mile distant, and its tower and vestry are still standing, and form a mortuary chapel for the churchyard, which is still in use.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 2s. 1d., is in the patronage of E.P. Middleton, Esq., J.P., and incumbency of the Rev. F.E. Middleton, B.A. The glebe is 34A., and the tithes have been commuted for £425 per annum. New rectory house built in year 1879, at cost of £1500.
Here is a NATIONAL SCHOOL attended by about 125 children; new schoolhouse built in the year 1872, at cost of £286; and enlarged in 1881, at an outlay of £88. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the parish.
The poor have £30 a year from the owners of the new enclosures, pursuant to a provision of an Act of 1802. In 1693, Thomas Bulwer left to the poor of Hainford £200, which were laid out in land, now intermixed with other poor's land, left by John Sporle, in 1677, and a Mr. Bolts, and comprising altogether, about 76A. with ten cottages, let for £112 a year. Of this income, 10s. are given to poor communicants each time of administering the sacrament, and the residue is divided among poor parishioners, who have also a yearly rent charge of 60s., left by the above-named Thomas Bulwer. There are paid yearly out of the Garrod estate, 6s. to the poor, 3s. 4d. to the rector, and 8d. to the clerk on Low Sunday.
POST OFFICE at Mr. W.P. Roberts'. Letters from Norwich, viâ St. Faith's, arrive at 8 a.m., and depart at 4.10 p.m. Sundays, depart at 8 a.m. Coltishall is the nearest Money Order Office.
Artherton Robert blacksmith & vict. Chequers Inn
Blinch Miss Christina schoolmistress
Brown Mr Wm. landowner, The Hall
Burrell Mr Wm. Baker
Chapman Jeremiah postman
Claxton George farmer
Coman John Roberts shopkeeper
Cory Jas. blksmth. engnr. & machinist
Everson Jas. Smith carpenter, wheelwright, and parish clerk
Fiddy Wm. shoemaker
Gelding Robert butcher and farmer, Waterloo cottage
Hall John vict. Maid's Head Inn
Haylett John farmer
Howlett Horatio farmer and owner
Huson John grocer
Long Robert blacksmith and vict. Wheatsheaf Inn
Middleton Edmd. Plane, frmr. & ownr. The Lodge;
Esq. J.P. h Hindringham
Middleton Rev. Frank rector, The Rectory
Newton William grocer
Nobbs Charles farmer
Ostler Henry shopkeeper
Page Robert tailor
Reynolds James farmer & surveyor, Manor farm
Rice Edmund farm bailiff
Roberts Wm. Philip plumber, painter and postmaster
Savage Robert gamekeeper
Sexton William farmer
Smith Benjamin farmer and owner, & surveyor,
The Grange, & victualler, Norwich
Till Mr Thomas
West Miss E.E. assistant schlmstress
Wells George grocer
Woodcock Peter fowl dealer
See also the Hainford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.