"HALVERGATE, a parish and well-built village, 7 miles W. of Yarmouth, has 495 souls, and 2675A. 2R. 35P. of land, two-thirds of which are marshes. Though now distant about 3 miles S. of the Bure, and 4 miles N. of the Yare, Halvergate was a sea port, before the land was formed on which Yarmouth is built. Robert Fellowes, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of part of the soil; and the rest belongs to Robert Howard, Esq., C. and R. Gillett, and a few smaller owners. The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is an ancient fabric, but the chancel has been rebuilt of brick. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5, has 43A. 1R. 14P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £236. 9s. 4d. in lieu of tithes. The Rev. George Burgess is the incumbent; and the Bishop of Ely is patron, and also appropriator of the rectorial tithes, which have been commuted for £330. 9s. 10d. per annum." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
- Methodist Church
- Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Halvergate to another place.
Halvergate is in Walsham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Walsham Hundred
- Description of Walsham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Halvergate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Grint, Brian S.
- The Halvergate Chronicles.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1984]
- Hutchinson, Sheila
- The Halvergate Fleet, past and present.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG421069 (Lat/Lon: 52.606227, 1.573449), Halvergate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1851 and 1861 Censuses
- "Parts of the following Parishes in the South Walsham Subdistrict, are situate in the Marshes at distances varying from two to seven miles from the respective villages: South Walsham St. Lawrence, Upton, Acle, Halvergate, Tunstall, Wickhampton, Freethorpe, and Reedham."