"HAPTON, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 203 souls, and 657 acres of land, mostly the property of Hudson Gurney, Esq., but Lord Berners is lord of the manor. The Church (St. Margaret,) is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £40. The Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A., is the incumbent, and the patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ College, Cambridge. Here is an Unitarian Chapel, which was built by Presbyterians in 1741, and is endowed with a good house for the minister, and about 115A. of land, left by a Mrs. Gay." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Depwade, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Goldsmith, Wendy
- Nonconformist Registers (vol 8): Hapton Unitarian.
Births, Baptisms and Burials 1792-1834.
[Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 19xx]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hapton to another place.
Hapton is in Depwade Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Depwade Hundred
- Description of Depwade Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Hapton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM175966 (Lat/Lon: 52.524264, 1.205319), Hapton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)