Norfolk: Hardley


White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]

HARDLEY, in the vale of the Yare, 2½ miles E.N.E. of Loddon, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 214 souls, and 1,428A. of land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom is Sir W. B. Procter, lord of the manor.

Hardley Cross, near a staith, is the boundary of the jurisdictions of Norwich and Yarmouth on the river.

The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) has a round tower and three bells. The Trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, are impropriators of the tithes, (commuted in 1842 for £312 per annum,) and patrons of the curacy certified at £40, and held by the Rev. Thomas Watson, of Costessey. The Church Land, 6A. 2R. 25P., is let for £11.


 Armsby     Robt.         joiner
 Belward    Wm.           vict., Staith House
 Brundell   Jas.          blacksmith
 Dowson     Benj. Utting  merchants
             & Sons
 Fish       William       shoemakers
 Plow       Robert        shoemakers


 Carver     William
 Cross      William Edw.
 Goddard    Edward
 Goddard    Mary
 Manthorpe  William

See also the Hardley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
June 1999