"HARDWICK, 5 miles N. of Harleston, and 12 miles S. of Norwich, has in its parish 269 souls, and 856 acres of land, held by several owners; but F. B. Frank, Esq., is lord of the manor, and patron of the discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and consolidated with Shelton. The Church (St. Margaret,) has a nave and chancel, and some remains of a tower. The glebe here is 7A. 3R. 11P., and the tithes were commuted, in 1837, for £267. 13s. per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel here." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
Hardwick is about 9 miles N.E. of Diss.
There is also a Hardwick near King's Lynn. It is a hamlet of North Runcton.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Depwade, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Church of St Margaret
- Location, etc.
- Hook, David, and Tricker, Roy
- The Hempnall Group of Churches.
Bedingham St Andrew; Fritton St Catherine; Hardwick St Margaret; Hempnall St Margaret; Morningthorpe St John the Baptist; Shelton St Mary; Topcroft St Margaret; Woodton All Saints.
[Hempnall, Hempnall Group of Churches, 1987]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hardwick to another place.
Hardwick is in Depwade Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Depwade Hundred
- Description of Depwade Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Hardwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Hardwick Inclosure Act, 1814.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Hardwick, in the county of Norfolk.
[London, J. Dorington, 1814]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM223900 (Lat/Lon: 52.462599, 1.270894), Hardwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)