Hide

East Harling

hide
Hide

"HARLING (EAST), or Market Harling, a small Market Town on elevated ground, above the vale of the Thet rivulet, 9 miles E. by N. of Thetford, and 21 miles S. W. of Norwich. The parish contains 247 houses, 1,198 inhabitants, and 2,573 acres of land. Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart., is lord of the manor, but the Earl of Albermarle, Thos. Thornhill, Esq., and others, have estates here. . . . The town was once celebrated for the manufacture of linen yarn and cloth. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a handsome edifice, with a tower and spire; and at the east end is the Harling chapel, containing effigies and other memorials of that family. The Rectory, valued in the King's book at £12, is in the gift of Mrs. Wilkinson, and enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. B. Wilkinson. The Friends, Methodists, and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel here." [Francis White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) - Transcription copyright © the late A.J. Carter]

Hide

See also West Harling.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
topup

Church History

Church of St Peter and St Paul
Description and pictures.
Church of St Peter and St Paul
Pictures of stained glass, etc.
Church of St Peter and St Paul
Description and pictures.
Grigson, Baseley Hales
Church of SS. Peter and Paul, East Harling, Norfolk: a paper read by the rector.
Walker, Thomas Jesse
The story of a typical Norfolk church (St Peter and St Paul, East Harling).

 
Methodist Church
Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), East Harling was in Guiltcross Registration District.

This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, East Harling was in Thetford Registration District for civil registration.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

East Harling Tower Mill
Description and pictures.
East Harling Water Mill
Description and pictures.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of East Harling which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

East Harling is in Guiltcross Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
Description of Guiltcross Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which East Harling has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL994865 (Lat/Lon: 52.439793, 0.93212), East Harling which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law