William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HASSINGHAM, near the north bank of the Yare, 10 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 186 souls, and 710 acres, half of which belongs to Sir W.B. Proctor, the lord of the manor, and the remainder belongs to and is occupied by Mr. John Green, of Buckenham Ferry.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and consolidated with that of Buckenham Ferry. The glebe here is 3A. 1R. 18P. The Poor's Allotment, 14A. 3R. 12P., awarded at the enclosure in 1800, is used for cutting fuel, but several poor people graze cows on it at the rate of 7s. per head. Half an acre of old poor's land is let for 10s. a year.
The resident farmers are John Green, John Shepherd, and Wm. Waters.
See also the Hassingham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.