Hide

Heckingham

hide
Hide

HECKINGHAM, a parish of scattered houses, 2 miles E. of Loddon, comprises 1084A. of land, and had 309 inhabitants in 1841, including 138 in the large Union Workhouse, . . . The Rev. E. Willis and Mr. John Freston are lords of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to the Rev. J. Gilbert, R. Hayward, S. Denny, and Sir E.B. Smyth, Bart. The latter is impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which was valued in 1831 at £31, and is enjoyed, with that of Hales, by the Rev. W.W. Hobson, M.A. The Church (St. Gregory,) is a small thatched building, with a tower and two bells." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide

Heckingham is about 6 miles N.E. of Bungay (which is in Suffolk).

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Gregory.
topup

Church History

Church of St Gregory
Description and pictures.
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1813-1880
Marriages
These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Heckingham was in Loddon and Clavering Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Heckingham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Heckingham is in Clavering Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
Description of Clavering Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Heckingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Great Britain: Statute
Norton Subcourse and Heckingham Inclosure Act, 1817.
An act for inclosing lands within the parishes of Norton and Heckingham, in the county of Norfolk; and for draining certain lands in the said parish of Norton.
[George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1817]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM385987 (Lat/Lon: 52.533532, 1.515167), Heckingham which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

Roll of Honour for Hales and Heckingham.
World Wars 1 and 2.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Military Records

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

After 1834 Heckingham became part of the Loddon and Clavering Union, and the workhouse was in this parish.

Loddon and Clavering Union
Parishes in the union, their arrangements for the poor before 1834, etc.
Loddon and Clavering Union and Workhouse
Description from White's Directory of Norfolk, 1845.
Loddon and Clavering Union and Workhouse
Description and pictures.
 
Heckingham Workhouse became Hales Hospital.
 
Bilyard, John
Hales Hospital: A history - workhouse to hospital.
[ISBN 0951241907, Norwich, Norwich Health Authority, 1987]
Bilyard, John
Hales Hospital: Thirty Years of Friendship.
[The Friends of Hales Hospital, 1991?]
Reid, Andy
Fire at the Workhouse! A study in cause and motive.
[ISBN 1869831160, Great Yarmouth, Bridge Publications, Teaching historical skills series, 1988]
Reid, Andy
The Union Workhouse: A Study Guide for Teachers and Local Historians.
Includes the Mitford and Launditch Union at Gressenhall, the Depwade Union at Pulham Market, and the Loddon and Clavering Union at Heckingham.
[ISBN 0850339146, Chichester, Phillimore, for the British Association for Local History, 1994]