William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HEMBLINGTON is a small scattered village and parish, 8 miles E. by N. of Norwich, containing 284 inhabitants, and 736 acres of land, belonging to the lord of the manor, H.N. Burroughes, Esq., except 60 acres, belonging to Wm. Jary, Esq., and 12 acres to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, the appropriators of the tithes (commuted for £290 per annum,) and patrons of the Church, (All Saints,) which is a perpetual curacy, certified at £15, and valued in 1831 at £56. It has been augmented, since 1775, with £1400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in 17 acres of land, at Wood Dalling and Thornton-Bishop, except £800 still remaining in the Bounty Office. The Rev. George Day is the incumbent, but the Rev. H.J. Muskett officiates.
About 1½ mile N.W. of the Church is Pedam, a scattered hamlet, which derives its name from a fine lake or dam, that covers ten acres, and has a beautiful waterfall, ornamented with grottoes, arches, piles of stones and clumps of trees, arranged in the most fantastic manner.
Here is a school, at which Mr. Wright, a Royal Artillery pensioner, teaches 30 free scholars for £5 a year, paid by the incumbent.
The other residents at Pedam are,
Bayes Edward joiner Gedge Wm. bricklayer Thurtle Rt. gamekeeper
and those at Hemblington are,
Coleman Thomas veterinary surgeon Cutton Jeremiah shoemaker Rope Charles Gillett farmer Smith James wheelwright Weston Nathaniel farmer
Note: The format of the directory has been changed.
See also the Hemblington parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.