William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
HEMPNALL, a large scattered village, 9 miles S. Norwich, and 7 miles N.W. of Bungay, has in its parish 1255 souls, and 3583 acres of land, belonging to many proprietors, and lying mostly in J. T. Mott, Esq.'s manor of Hempnall and Canons, and partly in W. F. Irby, Esq.'s manor of Boyland-cum-Fritton.
J. T. Mott, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £370, in the incumbency of the Rev. Robt. Rolfe, M.A. (See page 374 [which is the entry for Cockley Cley].) Here are 40 acres of glebe, and the tithes were commuted, in 1839, the rectorial for £452, and the vicarial for £287 per annum.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is a large structure, with a square tower and one bell.
A fair is held here on Dec. 11th, for hogs and pedlery.
The Town Lands, which have been held in trust from a period earlier than the reign of Elizabeth, for paying the tenths, fifteenths, and other taxes, and for the relief of the poor, consist of about 50A., let for about £80 a year, which is applied, as far as needed, in the service of the church, and the residue is carried to the poor-rates; but all the rent of the land called Barbers (22A.) ought to be distributed in charity to the poor, after the payment of 13s. 4d. for the leet fee, according to the trusts declared in a deed of the 15th of Elizabeth.
The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 10s., left by Robt. Row, in 1662, and another of 3s. 4d., given by an unknown donor. Part of the Town Lands were exchanged at the enclosure, in 1817.
Barnes Thomas cooper Bullen Benj. watch & clock maker Cockerill Edwd. vict. King's Head D'Oyley John gentleman Dunn Benj. plumber, painter, &c Edge James fireman Ellis Wm. veterinary surgeon Elsey John wheelwright & beerhs Hardwicke Heynes surgeon Hickling James saddler Hobart Phoebe vict. Swan Inn Johnson Maria plumber & painter King Samuel basket maker Lewell Daniel beerseller Palmer Philemon joiner Read Jonathan joiner & wheelwgt Read Wm. & Samuel bricklayers Redgrave Mrs. Richards Mrs. Jane Richards Wm. butcher Roberts John vict. Queen's Head Roberts Jno. hoop mkr. & woodman Roberts James wheelwright Roberts Wm. & James beer houses Rolfe Rev Robert R., curate B.A. Yallop Isaac schoolmaster Blacksmiths. Drane Nathan Garrard John Lansdell Richd. Boot & Shoe Mkrs. Buck James Freston George Goose Thomas Laskey Henry Smith Robert Corn Millers. Baxter Robert Robinson Abm. Thirkettle Wm. FARMERS * are Owners. Arnell Wm. *Parker Nathl. Caisey John *Paul Robert Cooper Benj. *Read Wm. Cunningham Rt. Richards Wm. D'Oyley Henry Riches Robert Dordery Wm. Roberts Roger Ellis Wm. & Benj. Scarnell L. Fairhead James Skinner John *Hipperson John Spink Edward Howlett Henry Sporle Robert Hylton Robert Thrower Alfred Jennery J. Todd John Mann George Turrell Edmund Middleton Wm. *Warmoll Edw. *Meek Edward *Webb Joseph *Moore Charles White Mrs. *Nash John Wootton Robert Parker Henry Grocers, &c. Bouttell Thomas Freston George Hylton Richard Morris Robert Rumball Jn. Geo. Stammers Wm. Thirkettle Eliz. Tailors, &c. Jermy John Kennedy John Neeve William and glover CARRIERS.
Wm. Leggett and Jas. Thrower, to Norwich, Wed. & Sat.
See also the Hempnall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.