Norfolk: Hempstead near Stalham


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]

HEMPSTEAD, a village and parish, 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, and 3½ miles N.E. by E. of Stalham, has 175 souls, and 907 acres of land, exclusive of Eccles by the Sea, which is united with it for the support of the poor. J. Blake, Esq., of Bramerton, owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor.

The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.2s.6d. and in 1831 at £542, with that of Lessingham annexed to it, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Wilkins, M.A. The glebe is 47A.3R.34P., and the tithes of Hempstead were commuted, in 1840, for £290 per annum.

The Poor's Pasture is 9A., awarded at the enclosure. The poor have also the interest of £32, and a yearly rent of 3s.4d., left by Mr A.C. Grey.


         Wilkins    Rev. E., M.A.  Rectory
         Marler     Mrs Ann
         Kirby      Timothy        farmer
         Littlewood Wm             farmer
         Marler     Richard        farmer
         Pilgrim    Jas.           farmer
         Silcock    Wm.            farmer

See also the Hempstead near Stalham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2001