Hide

Norfolk: Hemsby

hide
Hide

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

HEMSBY, or Hemesby parish, extends to the sea, and has a pleasant village, on a declivity, half a mile from the beach, and 6 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth. It has 608 inhabitants, and 1627 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, among whom are Thomas Clowes, Esq., Mrs. Glasspoole, and Robert Copeman, Esq. The latter resides in the Hall, and is patron of the Church and lord of the manor, which anciently belonged to Norwich Cathedral; for we find that the prior, in the reign of Henry III., claimed homage of the tenants, and gave two palfreys to have a market; and in the 32nd of Edward I., he claimed here "wreck at sea, view of frankpledge, assize, free-warren, pillory, and tumbrel."

The Church (St. Mary) is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 6s. 8d., and in 1831, at £180; and now enjoyed by the Rev. Robt. Hales, M.A., of Herringswell, Suffolk. The corn tithe is mostly redeemed, and the glebe is 36A.

The old Poor's Land, 10 acres, was exchanged, at the enclosure, in 1810, for an allotment of 10A. 22P., which is let, in small lots, to the poor, at rents amounting to about £16 a year, which is divided in small sums on Plough Monday. The Poor's Allotment, awarded in 1810, consists of 15A. 3R. 35P., let for about £30 a year, which is distributed in coals, together with £2, the rent of 2R. 30P., allotted to a cottage, formerly used as a poor-house.

The National School, with a house for the teachers, was built in 1841, chiefly at the expense of R. Copeman, Esq. It is attended by about 100 children.

         Bellman    Rev Augs.     curate, Vicarage         Bishop     John          gentleman         Boulton    Robert        gardener         Copeman    Robt. Esq.    Hemsby Hall         Copeman    Robt. jun.    Hemsby Lodge         Daniel     Benj.         beerhouse, Cliff         Dow        Samuel        blacksmith         Emmerson   George        wheelwright         Ferrier    Mrs Elizabeth         Grymes     James         shoemaker         Gunn       Henry         grocer and draper         Hind       Robert        National School         Johnson    Richard       blacksmith         Lound      John          shoemaker         Myhill     Wm.           gardener         Page       John          bricklayer and beerhs         Parish     Mrs Elizabeth         Starling   George        corn miller         Thurtle    Thomas        vict. Blue Bell         Waller     John          surgeon         Woolston   George        joiner, &c.                           FARMERS.          Bowers     Thos.         Juby       William         Dunham     J.            Johnson    Richard         Durrant    Edmund        Littlewood John         English    Thos.         Pettingill Edmd.         Gallant    James         Shilcock   Cubit         Gibson     Benj.         Turner     George         Green      Robert        Watson     Robert         Harbord    Griffin       Wilson     Mark 

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Hemsby parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2004