"HEYDON, a pleasant village and parish, 5 miles W.N.W. of Aylsham, and 14 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, has 321 souls, and 1911 acres of land, belonging to Wm. Earle Lytton Bulwer, Esq., of HEYDON HALL, a handsome Elizabethan mansion of brick, erected in 1581, by Henry Dynne, Esq.; but the house and lawn have since been considerably improved. Mr. Bulwer is the elder brother of Sir E.G.E. Bulwer Lytton, Bart., the author of several highly popular novels; and is lord of the manors of Heydon-with-members, Stinton Hall, Sallkirk Hall, Oulton, Thurning, Guestwick, Wood Dalling, &c., for which John Richardson, Esq., one of the first proposers of the new poor law, is steward. The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is a large and handsome Gothic fabric, with a lofty tower, in which is an excellent peal of six bells, hung a few years ago. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 16s. 10½d., has 24A. 3R. 20P. of glebe, and is consolidated with that of Ermingland (sic), in the patronage of W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Evan Nepean, M.A., of Grosvenor chapel, London." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
The name may also be spelled Haydon.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
- Church of St Peter and St Paul
- Description and pictures.
- Church of St Peter and St Paul
- Services, pictures, etc.
- Linnell, Charles Lawrence Scruton
- Heydon Church: St Peter and St Paul.
[Aylsham, printed by F.C. Barnwell, 1963]
- Memorials and Wall Paintings in the Church:
- Memorial to Erasmus Earle, and Wall Painting of Herod and Salome
Wall Painting of The Adoration of the Magi
Memorial to Elizabeth Maude Bulwer, and Wall Painting of The Three Living and The Three Dead
Wall Painting of a Female Saint
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heydon to another place.
Heydon is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Heydon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG113273 (Lat/Lon: 52.801724, 1.133308), Heydon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.