Norfolk: Hickling


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]

HICKLING is a scattered village and parish, 18 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, and 4 miles E.S.E. of Stalham. It is in Smallburgh union, Happing hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stalham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 823 inhabitants in 1881, and has a rateable value of £5393. The parish comprises 4334 acres, nearly 2000 of which are marshes. About 1½ mile S. of the church is Hickling Broad, an extensive lake, upwards of three miles in circumference, and navigable for small craft to the Thurne and the Bure.

Henry N.S. Micklethwait, Esq., is the principal landowner and lord of the manors of Hickling Overhall, Hickling Netherhall, and Hickling Stannow, for which he holds a court baron in December. The principal landowners are Rev. S.N. Micklethwait, and John Borrett, T. Slipper, J. Newman, S. Neal, G.V. Barber, W.N. Burroughs, Esqs. Hickling Hall, an ancient and commodious house now occupied by Arthur Borrett, Esq., has recently been restored and reroofed.

Hickling had anciently a market, and has now a holiday fair on April 23.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a handsome structure, seating 300 persons, and consisting of nave with aisles, chancel, south porch with parvise, and a fine square embattled tower, 90 feet high, with five bells. The nave and chancel were thoroughly restored in 1875 and 1876, mainly at the expense of the late Rev. J.N. Micklethwait, at a cost of more than £2450. The chancel screen was removed, but an ancient altar-tomb remains. The tower, which is almost architecturally perfect, still needs judicious restoration.

H.N.S. Micklethwait, Esq., is also impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's Book at £5.3s.4d; and from 1782 to 1784 was augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by John Micklethwait, Esq., and the Rev. John Wells. Those sums were laid out in the purchase of 17 acres of marsh land at Acle. The Rev. Sotherton Nathaniel Micklethwait, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a commodious residence, built in 1850 at a cost of £1400. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £814, and the vicarial for £352 per annum. The Rev. George Sharley, who resides at Ingham, is curate.

In the outbuildings of a farmhouse, about half a mile north of the church, are the remains of a PRIORY, which was founded in 1185 by Theobald de Valoins, for canons of the order of St. Austin, and granted at the dissolution to Sir W. Woodhouse. The last remaining window of the priory was taken down in 1825, and forms a porch to the farmhouse.

The Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists have each a chapel in the parish. The latter was rebuilt in 1882 at a cost of about £500.

In 1803 the Rev. John Wells left £250 Consols, now yielding £7.10s. per annum, for the education of poor children. The present schoolroom was built in 1861 to accommodate 70 children at a cost of £420, and enlarged for an extra 50 children in 1874 at a further cost of £135. In 1879 the present patron, H.N.S. Micklethwait, Esq., expended upwards of £300 in the erection of a neat and convenient red brick residence for the teachers.

In 1682 James Scambler left the yearly sums of 10s. to the poor, 2s. to the parish clerk, and £2.2s. to the vicar for a sermon. The Poor's Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1805, comprise 83A.2R.30P., about 70 acres of which are let for £55 a year; and the remainder is let in half-acre lots to poor people, free of tithes and poor's rates, at rents amounting to £25 a year. The whole produces about £80 a year, which, after payment of the drainage rate, &c., is distributed in coal, together with the interest of £106, which arose from the sale of two poor-houses in 1811. The rent of five roods of land, called the Widow's Acre (£3.10s.), is distributed among poor widows.

POST OFFICE at James Turner's. Letters from Norwich, via Stalham, arrive at 7.45 a.m., and are despatched at 2.45 p.m. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Stalham.

         Applegate    James        farmer, Stubb
         Barber       Geo. Vincent farmer, Stubb
         Bates        Benjamin     carpenter and joiner
         Beale        George       coal dealer and carter
         Beales       Geo.         vict. Pleasure Boat Inn
         Beales       Richard      market gardener
         Beevor       George       butcher and carrier
         Beevor       Robert       farmer, Stubb
         Beckett      Arthur       butcher & parish clerk
         Bell         Samuel       porkbutcher
         Bishop       Mrs Mary     porkbutcher and farmer
         Bishop       William      farmer, butcher and carrier
         Borrett      Arthur       farmer, The Hall
         Borrett      Mr. John     landowner, The Hall
         Chapman      Josiah       farmer
         Deary        Thomas       thatcher
         Dove         John         shopkeeper
         Fenn         Jas. Wm.     frmr. Longmoor farm
         Fenn         Mrs Mary
         Garrett      Israel Royal miller and landowner (G.& Whittleton)
         Garrett &
           Whittleton              millers & frmrs
         Gaze         Mrs Jane     shopkeeper
         Gibbs        Alfred Geo.  frmr, Church farm
         Gibbs        Frederick    blacksmith and victualler, White Horse
         Gibbs        Herbert Hy.  grocer and draber (sic)
         Gibbs        Horace       farmer
         Gibbs        John         shopkeeper
         Gibbs        Samuel       blacksmith
         Goose        Thomas       carrier
         Harmer       Robert       bricklayer
         Harvey       Robert       farmer and overseer, Gay's farm
         Lambert      James        bricklayer
         Lambert      Mrs Jane     farmer
         Mason        Robert       shoemaker
         Micklethwait Rev.Sotherton
                      Nathanl.M.A. vicar, Vicarage
         Myhill       Edwd.        whlwright & carpenter and
                                     assistant overseer
         Neale        Samuel       farmer, Stubb
         Newman       John         farmer and owner, Old Priory
         Newman       Samuel       farmer
         Payne        William      threshing machine owner and
                                     vict. Greyhound Inn
         Pratt        Robert       shopkeeper & farmer
         Prickett     John         National schoolmaster
         Ready        Rev. Henry,  vicar of Palling and
                       B.A.          rector of Waxham
         Sharley      Rev. Geo.    curate; h. Ingham
         Slipper      Thomas       farmer and owner, Winmere Hall
         Taylor       Miss Mary
                        M.H.       day school
         Taylor       Mrs Maria    shopkeeper
         Trory        William      farmer, owner, and corn merchant,
                                     The Villa
         Tuck         Thomas       shopkeeper and farmer
         Turner       James        grocer, draper and post office
         Turner       John         wheelwright & carpenter
         Whittleton   Leonard      farmer
         Whittleton   Thos.        millr. (Garrett & W.)
         Wilkins      Charles      farmer
         Wiseman      John         farmer
         Woolston     James        porkbutcher, flour dealer,
                                     market gardener and carrier
         Woolston     Robert       shoemaker

CARRIERS - Thomas Goose to Norwich on Saturdays, and George Beevor, William Bishop, and James Woolston to Yarmouth on Saturdays.

See also the Hickling parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 1999