"HILBOROUGH, or Hilburgh, is a scattered, but pleasant village, with a handsome hall, a good posting inn, and a large water mill, on the London road, 6 miles S. of Swaffham. Its parish has 337 inhabitants, and 2807 acres of land, nearly all the property of Henry Berney Caldwell, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a square brick mansion in a well-wooded park, on the western bank of a rivulet, erected in 1779, by Ralph Caldwell, Esq., who purchased the manor of James Nelthorpe, Esq., in 1763, after which he erected on it three new farm-houses, &c. The CHURCH (All Saints) is a neat edifice, with a fine square tower, containing five bells, and having freestone quoins and battlements. Over the western door are two effigies, one a man in armour, the other a savage, bearing in his left hand a ragged staff, and in the other a man's head. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £390, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Dolignon, M.A." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
The name may also be spelled Hillborough, Hilburgh and Hillburgh.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
There was also a chapel dedicated to St Margaret.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk
- 1937: Kelly's Directory of Norfolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hilborough to another place.
Hilborough is in South Greenhoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hilborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Hilborough Inclosure Act, 1769.
An act for dividing and inclosing the common fields, commons and waste grounds, in the manor and parish of Hilborowe, in the county of Norfolk.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Swaffham Registration District, 1836 and nearby places.
This is a link to an archived copy.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF827005 (Lat/Lon: 52.571603, 0.694111), Hilborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Roll of Honour
- World War 1.
- See Norfolk People and Families
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.