William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOCKERING village stands on a declivity of the Norwich road, near the Blackwater rivulet, 6 miles E. of East Dereham, in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Dereham polling district of South Norfolk, Norwich bankruptcy district, Mitford hundred, Hingham rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 387 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1934 acres, and has a rateable value of £2426. George Dackett Berney is lord of the manor and principal landowner, but there are some smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, and handsome square tower with one bell. The reredos is of marble and Caen stone, the chancel arch of marble, and the pulpit, reading-desk, seats, and elegant screen, are of beautifully carved oak.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 3s. 4d., is now worth £739 a year, with that of Mattishall-Burgh annexed, and is the patronage of G.D. Berney, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Michael James Anderson, M.A., who has 50A. of glebe and a good residence with tasteful pleasure-grounds.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1859. There are small SCHOOLS in connection with the church and chapel. Hockering was the chief manor in the Barony of Rye, and was formerly held by the Mareschals, Roscelines, and Parkers.
The Poor's and Town's Lands have been vested in feoffees from an early period, and were increased by allotments at the enclosure in 1826. The property now consists of The Cock Inn, let for £40; four cottages and gardens, let for about £11 10s.; 2A. 3R. of land, let for £2 2s. a year; a garden of 14 perches, used by the schoolmistress; and 4A. 1R. 21P., let for £13 a year. Out of these rents about £15 are expended yearly in supplying the poor with coals, and the rest is applied with the church rates. The poor have also yearly doles of 9s. from Mowting's charity, and 20s., left by Ann Repps in 1633, out of 3A., called Warner's Yard.
LETTERS through Dereham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. POST OFFICE cleared at 5 p.m. Mattishall is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Anderson Rev. Michael Jas. M.A. rector, The Rectory Ball Miss Elizabeth Free schlmistress Barnard Thomas victualler, Cock Bayfield John gamekeeper, The Lodge Blanche George beerhouse Bloom John Lofty farmer, The Leys farm Brighty John machine owner and carrier to Norwich Wed. and Sat. Brighty Robert woodman, The Lodge Brighty William grocer, draper, general dealer and freeholder Comer Isaac Wm. frmr. Heath farm Fisher Clare farmer, Mill house Flood George shoemaker Galer George farmer Harvey James vict. Butchers' Arms Hind William farmer, Park farm Howard John farmer and landowner, Yew farm Huggins - baker Huggins James blacksmith Leveridge James farmer Mack Amelius farmer Matthews James farmer Melton Mrs. Theodosia farmer Milk Jas. Payne farmr. Overgate farm Ramm Robert wheelwright Skelton Edward general dealer Sutton John farmer, Church farm Thurgil George shoemaker
CARRIERS - To Norwich pass through
See also the Hockering parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.