"HOCKHAM is a pleasant village, 5 miles N.W. by N. of East Harling. Its parish contains 664 inhabitants, and about 3196 acres of land, mostly the property of Henry Samuel Partridge, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a large brick edifice. It gives name to a large Police Division, and was formerly in two parishes, called Great and Little Hockham; but the church of the latter was demolished after the reign of Richard II., though its foundations may still be traced. Henry III. granted to Great Hockham, a charter for a market every Friday, and a fair on Easter Monday; but the former has long been obsolete, and the latter is merely a pleasure mart. The CHURCH (Trinity) stands in the park, and has a nave, chancel, and aisles, but no tower. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8. 17s. 11d., and in 1831, at £220. The Rev. John Spurgin, B.A., is patron and incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pamela Littlefair]
|Barn at Puddledock, Great Hockham, Primitive Methodist|
|Chapel (Great Hockham Methodist Church), Great Hockham, Primitive Methodist|
|House, Great Hockham, Independent Methodist|
|Mormon, Great Hockham|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
The parish church of Little Hockham was dedicated to St Mary, but there is now no trace of it.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hockham to another place.
Hockham is in Shropham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Shropham Hundred
- Description of Shropham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Hockham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Davison, Alan J.
- Great Hockham - a village which has moved?
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.41, 1991]
- Davison, Alan J.
- Little Hockham
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.40, 1987]
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- Brick Kiln Farm, Great Hockham: a history.
- Great Hockham Fuel and Furze Trustees
- Great Hockham, Norfolk: fuel and furze allotment.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL953924 (Lat/Lon: 52.494827, 0.876078), Hockham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1901 Census
- "Including Little Hockham."