William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOE, commonly called Hoo, is a small village and parish, 2 miles N.E. of East Dereham, containing 220 souls, and 1,345 acres of land. Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor; but the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, Mr. William Grounds, and a few smaller owners have estates here.
The Church, is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King's Book at £8. 13s. 4d., and consolidated with East Dereham. (See page 311 [which is the entry for East Dereham].) The nave was rebuilt in 1794, and the chancel, in 1820. The Church Land, 13A. 1R. 38P., is let for £20.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded in 1814, is 12A., on which the poor cut turf and whins. They have £4. 4s. yearly, from Gooch's Charity, but are entitled to a much larger share, as noticed at page 312 [which is the entry for East Dereham].
Blomfield John gent Grounds William gent, Hoe Hall Hastings Executors of Henry corn millers Kitteringham Wm. brick maker Millett Rev. Wm., M.A. Gorgate Hall Mitchell Sarah vict., Angel farmers Marchant Hamon Norton Samuel Tuck John Wildee Wm.
See also the Hoe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.