Holme next the Sea
"HOLME-NEXT-THE-SEA is a parish and small village, betwixt Hunstanton and Brancaster Bay, 9 miles W. of Burnham-Market, containing 280 inhabitants, and 1,197 acres of land, lying in several manors, viz:- Hunstanton-with-Mustrells, Ringstead-with-Holme, and Northwall, otherwise Barnards, of which Hy. L'Estrange Styleman Le Strange, Esq., is lord; and Holkham, Berry's, and Hoods, of which the Rev. Chas. Palmer is lord, and has a neat mansion here; as also has Mr. Matthew Thurlow Nelson. The CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) has a large square tower, built by Henry Notynham, an itinerant judge, in the reign of Henry IV. It has been much larger, the nave being rebuilt on a smaller scale, in 1778. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and consolidated with that of Thornham. It has about 22 acres of glebe, and was augmented, in 1762, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. Chas. Sutton, D.D., has been incumbent since 1794, and the Bishop of Norwich is the patron." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paul Beesley]
Holme-next-the-Sea is about 3 miles N.E. of Hunstanton.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Heacham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holme next the Sea to another place.
Holme next the Sea is in Smithdon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Smithdon Hundred
- Description of Smithdon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Holme next the Sea has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Our Village in 1951
- Holme-next-the-Sea, Past and Present.
By the Headmaster and Pupils of the Village School.
School, church, names, maps, occupations, etc.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF705435 (Lat/Lon: 52.961565, 0.536355), Holme next the Sea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Holme-next-the-Sea Village School
- History and description. From "Our Village in 1951".