"HOLVERSTONE, 5 miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish only 37 souls, and 331 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Executors of the late John Marcon, Esq., of Swaffham. The Church (St. Mary,) was dilapidated some centuries ago, and no traces of it are now extant. The rectory is in two medieties, united to Rockland St. Mary and Burgh-Apton." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
The name of this parish may also be spelled Holveston or Holverstone.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church was dedicated to St Mary, but there was no trace of it by 1845.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holverston to another place.
Holverston is in Henstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
- Description of Henstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Holverston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG303032 (Lat/Lon: 52.578202, 1.397237), Holverston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)