"HONINGHAM is a neat village on the East Dereham road, 8 miles W. by N. of
Norwich. Its parish is in St. Faith's Union, and has 358 souls, and 2527
acres of land, all the property of the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Henry Wm.
Powlett Lord Bayning, the lord of the manor, who is rector of Brome,
in Suffolk, but now resides about three months of the year at Honingham
Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion, in an extensive and well-wooded
park. It was erected (except the new south front,) by Lord Chief Justice
Richardson, and afterwards sold to the Hon. Wm. Townshend, fourth son of
Viscount Townshend, who married the heiress of Lord Powlett. His son
Charles was created Lord Bayning, of Foxley (Berks.,) in 1797, and
was, for many years, ambassador to the Court of Spain. He died in 1819,
and was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles, who died unmarried in 1823,
when his brother, the present lord, succeeded.
The Church (St. Andrew,) stands a mile east of the village, and the
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at
£8.12s.6d., and in 1831 at £503, with that of East Tuddenham
annexed to it. Lord Bayning is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Smith incumbent."
[William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845 -
Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]