Norfolk: Honingham


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]

HONINGHAM is a neat village on the East Dereham road, 8 miles W. by N. of Norwich. Its parish is in St. Faith's Union, and has 358 souls, and 2527 acres of land, all the property of the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Henry Wm. Powlett Lord Bayning, the lord of the manor, who is rector of Brome, in Suffolk, but now resides about three months of the year at Honingham Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion, in an extensive and well-wooded park. It was erected (except the new south front,) by Lord Chief Justice Richardson, and afterwards sold to the Hon. Wm. Townshend, fourth son of Viscount Townshend, who married the heiress of Lord Powlett. His son Charles was created Lord Bayning, of Foxley (Berks.,) in 1797, and was, for many years, ambassador to the Court of Spain. He died in 1819, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles, who died unmarried in 1823, when his brother, the present lord, succeeded.

The Church (St. Andrew,) stands a mile east of the village, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8.12s.6d., and in 1831 at £503, with that of East Tuddenham annexed to it. Lord Bayning is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Smith incumbent. The tithes of Honingham were commuted in 1840 for £207.6s. per annum.

Here is a National School for both sexes.

The Poor's Land, 1½A., with seven cottages upon it, was sold by the overseers a few years ago for £220, applied with the poor rates. About 1790, the Rev. Roger Du Quesne, charged his estate here with the yearly payment of 30s. for the poor, 10s. for the clerk, and 10s. for distribution in religious books.


         Bayning   Rt. Hon. and Rev. Lord  Hall
         Child     Mary                    blacksmith
         Neeve     Robt. Johnson           miller
         Secker    John                    carpenter
         Smith     Rev. Wm.                Rectory
         Spratt    Job Ephraim, and Mrs.   National School
         Young     James                   vict., Buck Inn (posting)
         Balls     Thomas
         Gooch     Stephen
         Hipkin    Thomas and Stephen
         Reeve     Widow and Howard
         Thurston  John

The Lynn and Norwich coaches and carriers call at the Buck.

See also the Honingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 1999