William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HONINGHAM is a neat village on the East Dereham road, 7 miles W. by N. of Norwich. Its parish is in St. Faith's Union, and has 328 inhabitants, and 2563 acres of land, all the property of the Right Hon. and Rev. Henry Wm. Powlett, Lord Bayning, M.A., who is lord of the manor and patron and incumbent of the discharged vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £8. 12s. 6d., and is now worth £655, with that of East Tuddenham annexed to it.
His lordship resides at HONINGHAM HALL, a fine Elizabethan mansion, in an extensive and well wooded park of about 100 acres. This house was erected (except the more modern south front), by Lord Chief Justice Richardson, and afterwards sold to the Hon. William Townshend, fourth son of Viscount Townshend, who married the heiress of Lord William Powlett. His son Charles was created Lord Bayning, of Foxley, (Berks), in 1797, and was for many years ambassador to the Court of Spain. He died in 1819, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles, who died unmarried in 1823, when his brother, the present lord, succeeded, and assumed the names of his maternal great grandfather in lieu of his patronymic.
The Church (St. Andrew) stands a mile east of the village, and is a handsome building of the decorated period, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and lofty square tower. The latter is surmounted by figures of the four evangelists at the angles, and contains four bells. In the porch is a holy water stoup, and in the church are tablets of the Townshend family and Baron Richardson.
The interior of the church is well fitted, and was restored a few years ago. The windows have also been recently renewed, and several of them are filled with beautiful stained glass. Two of those in the chancel represent scenes from the life of our Saviour, and were inserted in 1860, by Lord Bayning, in memory of the Hon. Anne and Annabella Townshend. That at the east end was inserted by subscription in 1850.
The tithes of Honingham were commuted in 1840, for £543. 5s. to the impropriators, and £210 to the vicar. The Vicarage House and School are in East Tuddenham parish.
About 1790, the Rev. Roger Du Quesne charged his estate here with the yearly payment of 30s. for the poor of this parish, 10s. for the clerk, and 10s. for distribution in religious books amongst the poor of East Tuddenham.
POST OFFICE at Wm. Doubleday's. Letters despatched via Norwich, at 3.50 p.m.
Bayning Right Hon. & Vicar of Honingham-with-East-Tuddenham, Rev. Lord, rural dean, and High Steward of M.A. Norwich Cathedral, The Hall Child James blacksmith Grand John tailor Rackham James shoemkr. & shopkeeper Secker John joiner and carpenter Ward Rev. Wm. Craig, B.A. curate Young James vict. Buck Inn, (posting) FARMERS. Balls Thomas Doubleday Wm. Gooch Stepn. Honingham Thorpe Hipkin Thos. (and brickmaker) Hipkin Stephen Reeve Wm. (and plumber & glazr) Sendall Edward (& corn miller) Sendall Richard Smith Henry Hall farm Young James
See also the Honingham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.