William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HORSFORD, on the Holt road, 4 miles N.N.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 593 souls, and 4177 acres of land, of which only 1203 acres are titheable, and 3770 assessable to poor-rates, &c. About 600A. form a steril [sic] heath, partially cultivated and planted, and enclosed in 1802, when 208A. 3R. 12P. was set out as a Fuel Allotment.
Sir Thomas B. Lennard, Bart., is lord of the manor, (fines certain.) Admiral Stephens, Viscount Ranelagh, and many smaller owners, have estates here. The ancient lords had a castle here, and there are still some traces of its foundations and moat.
The Church (All Saints,) is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 5s. 2d., and augmented, in 1793, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. Admiral Stephens is impropriator and patron, and the Rev. O. Mathias, M.A., incumbent. The glebe is 140A., and the tithes were commuted in 1841, the vicarial for £101. 4s., and the rectorial for £128. 7s. 6d.
Andrew Robert brewer Buck Henry corn miller Cole James vict. Crown Day Mrs Cecelia Maria Darby Agnes boarding school Drake Richard wheelwright Fox Matthew vict. Spotted Dog Gardiner Geo. gent. (and Thorpe) Lacey Robert bricklayer Livock James butcher M'Donald Mrs Harriet Mathias Rev Octavius, M.A. rector Oliver Mary beer house Pye Theophilus shopkeeper & baker Wade John blacksmith FARMERS. Baker John Frost Jonathan Barrett Samuel Frost J. jun. Blyth Philip Greaves T. & J. Bunn Samuel Pratt William Crome Samuel Wortley Robert Shoemakers. Andrew Alfred Andrew James Harvey William Rix George
See also the Horsford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.