William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HORSFORD, on the Holt road, 4 miles N.N.W. of Norwich, is a parish in St. Faith's union, Taverham hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 697 inhabitants in 1881, living on 4177 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £3895. Only 1203 acres are titheable. About 600 acres form a sterile heath, partly cultivated and planted, and enclosed in 1802, when 208A. 3R. 12P. were set out as a Fuel Allotment.
Sir Thomas B. Lennard, Bart., is lord of the manor, in which the fines are certain; and Viscount Ranelagh, Gerard James Day, Esq., the Great Hospital, Norwich, and a few smaller owners, have estates here. The ancient lords of the manor (Barons Dacre) had a castle here, and there are still traces of its foundations and moat.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a very ancient edifice, mostly Early English, comprising nave, north aisle, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The chancel arch, which was very rude and evidently of great antiquity, has been rebuilt. It was refitted with open seats, pulpit, and reading desk, in 1862, and was further restored in 1869 and 1881. It contains several marble tablets of the Day and Crowe families, a piscina, a handsomely carved screen, and a curious old font supposed to be of Norman workmanship.
Viscount Ranelagh is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the discharged vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £4 5s. 2d., and augmented, in 1793, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. Josiah Descarrires Ballance, M.A., who is also incumbent of Horsham St. Faith's, is the Vicar, and has a neat residence, surrounded by well-wooded grounds. The glebe is 150 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1841 - the vicarial for £101 4s., and the rectorial for £128 7s. 6d.
The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1862, by Mr. Philip Blyth, at a cost of £160, in lieu of the old chapel, which was purchased in 1856 by J. Day, Esq., and converted into a National School; but a new School, with teacher's house, was built in 1865, which is attended by about 100 children.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Samuel Beare's. Letters received at 6.50 p.m., and despatched at 5 p.m. Nearest Money Order Office and Telegraph Office at Drayton.
Alexander Henry baker & shopkeeper Andrews Lewis shoemaker Bacon George farmer Baker James farmer and beer house, the Flagcutters Barrett James shoemaker Barrett Juniper farmer and owner Barrett Richard farmer Barrett Samuel farmer Barrett Thomas vict. the Brickmakers Beare Saml. shopkpr. & sub-postmaster Bowman James farmer Bunn Jas. Wm. farmer, the Dock farm Bunn John builder Cannell Isaac butcher Chapman James coachbuilder Chapman Lewis coach & carriage buildr Cook Robins farmer; h Horsham St. Faith's Cook Wm. Warner farmer; h Horsham St. Faith's Day Gerard Jas. Esq. Horsford house Ellis William vict. the Spotted Dog Fenton Miss Frances schoolmistress Golding Miss Ann farmer Golding Robert farmer, Botany Bay farm; h Hainford Gowing Edward Sayers farmer, the Park farm Greeves George farmer, Heath farm Greeves William farmer Howard Mr Hezekiah Howe William builder Ingledow John blacksmith Laws Robt. farmer and vict. the Crown March Jermh. carpenter & wheelwright March William farmer Morley Rbt. corn miller; h Hevingham Pratt Mrs Sophia Charlotte farmer, the Poplars Pratt Mr William Printer Frederick George dealer Pye Abraham baker and shopkeeper Rice James farmer Smith Elijah farmer Utting William farmer Wade John blacksmith Walker Ezra carpenter & wheelwright Wilson William butcher
CARRIERS.- - Laxton, from and to Aylsham and Norwich, Mon., Wed., and Sat.; - Easton, between Aylsham and Norwich, Wed. and Sat.
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
In Directory, take out 'Morley Robert,' 'Rice James,' 'Beare Samuel;'
insert 'Thurgar J.W. shopkeeper,' and 'Woodrow E. corn miller.'
See also the Horsford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.