Horstead with Stanninghall
"HORSTEAD-WITH-STANINGHALL form a consolidated parish, with a village of the former name, pleasantly seated on the south bank of the river Bure, 7 miles N.N.E. of Norwich. The parish contains 625 inhabitants, and 2586A. of land, of which only 53 souls, and 314 acres are in Staninghall, formerly a parish, but now in one farm, two miles south of Horstead, belonging to Lord Suffield, and having the ruins of a church, which was dilapidated in the reign of Elizabeth, since which the owner has paid a yearly modus of £5. 10s. to Frettenham, with which it is ecclesiastically connected, though it pays church rates to Horstead. Horstead CHURCH (All Saints,) has a handsome antique font, and several memorials of the Ward, Hornsell, Townshend, and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 10s., and in 1831 at £402, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Abbott, and patronage of the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, who are also lords of the manor, which is mostly copyhold on fine certain." [William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845 - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Taverham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
The parish church of Stanninghall was dedicated to St Peter, but it was in ruins in the 16th century.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms and Burials.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1558-1754,1759-1837, Banns 1754-1902, Marriages 1558-1741,1752-1837 and Burials 1558-1911.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- Archdeacons' Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- Marriages 1801-1814
- Norfolk FHS Marriage Index. This is a link to an archived copy.
- Marriages 1558-1812
- See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 3.
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
- Churchwardens' Rates
- Principal property occupiers and the amounts paid.
1726, 1739-1741, 1757-1758, 1775-1776, 1803-1805, and 1819-1820.
- Churchwardens' Payments, or Disbursements
- Payments for church repairs, communion bread and wine, etc.
1724-1737, 1737-1761, 1765-1777, and 1779-1803.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Horstead with Stanninghall to another place.
Horstead with Stanninghall is in Taverham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Taverham Hundred
- Description of Taverham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Horstead with Stanninghall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Corbett, William John
- Elizabethan Village Surveys.
Based on two surveys, 1564 and 1586, of Horstead and Stanninghall, Norfolk.
[Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, New Series, Vol.XI, 1897]
- Millican, Percy
- A history of Horstead and Stanninghall, Norfolk.
[Norwich, H.W. Hunt, 1937]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG264195 (Lat/Lon: 52.726079, 1.351146), Horstead with Stanninghall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1841 and 1851 Censuses
- "Stanninghall was formerly a Parish, but is now united to Horstead, to which it pays church-rates, although stated to belong ecclesiastically to Frettenham Parish."
- 1851 Census
- "About 40 persons from Horstead have lately emigrated to the colonies."
- 1861 Census
- "ST. FAITHS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the District of St. Faiths is attributed to the migration of labourers and their families to the manufacturing districts."