Norfolk: Horstead with Stanninghall
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HORSTEAD-WITH-STANINGHALL form a consolidated parish, with a village of the former name, pleasantly seated on the south bank of the river Bure, 7 miles N.N.E. of Norwich. The parish contains 625 inhabitants, and 2586A. of land, of which only 53 souls, and 314 acres are in Staninghall, formerly a parish, but now in one farm, two miles south of Horstead, belonging to Lord Suffield, and having the ruins of a church, which was dilapidated in the reign of Elizabeth, since which the owner has paid a yearly modus of £5. 10s. to Frettenham, with which it is ecclesiastically connected, though it pays church rates to Horstead.
Horstead CHURCH (All Saints,) has a handsome antique font, and several memorials of the Ward, Hornsell, Townshend, and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 10s., and in 1831 at £402, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Abbott, and patronage of the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, who are also lords of the manor, which is mostly copyhold on fine certain.
Horstead Hall, erected in 1835, in the Elizabethan style, in a romantic dale, which opens to the Bure, is the property of Lord Suffield, and is occupied by the Dowager Lady Suffield; and Horstead House, another neat mansion, is the property of E.H. Lyon, Esq. Thos. Blake, Esq., LL.D., has a handsome seat here, and half a mile E. of the village is an ancient hamlet, called Haggard street.
The National School was established in 1841.
The Poor's Land, 7A., is let in 16 plots, at the rate of 30s. per acre.
Abbott Rev Wm., M.A. Rectory Baldwin J. bricklayer & lime burner Blake Thos. Esq. LL.D. Brightwen Thos. Esq. Horstead Hs. Cooke & Gambling corn millers Cooke Mr. Samuel Mill House Coman John tailor Deacle Rev H. jun. curate, (house Cottishall [sic]) Ewing J. vict. Recruiting Sergeant Lee John corn miller Norgate Maria schoolmistress Partridge Robert gent. Smith Robert grocer and draper Suffield Dowager Lady Hall Wright Jas. coal and timber mert. Blacksmiths. Shoemakers. Burrell George Amis Robert Foulger John Bird Edward FARMERS. Foster John Moore Benjamin Gosling Wm. Page Philip Howlett Harcrt. Starling George London Robert Utting John, Mayes William Staninghall
See also the Horstead with Stanninghall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.