Norfolk: Horstead with Stanninghall
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HORSTEAD and [STANNINGHALL] form a consolidated civil parish, in St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy division, Taverham hundred, rural deanery, and petty sessional division, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 565 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2733 acres, and has a rateable value of £3738.
Horstead village is pleasantly seated on the south bank of the river Bure, 7 miles N.N.E. of Norwich. Stanninghall, which comprises 314 acres of land, and was formerly a separate parish, but is now all in one farm, belonging to E. Birkbeck, Esq., M.P., and is ecclesiastically united with Frettenham, but rated with Horstead. Its church was dilapidated in the reign of Elizabeth, but the tower and part of one of the walls remain, and are used as farm buildings. There are large corn mills situated on the river Bure, and several malt-kilns, and [a] large coal and timber wharf.
The Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor, which is mostly copyhold on fine certain, and was granted by Henry VI. The hall, formerly the property of Lord Suffield, was purchased, and restored in the Elizabethan style, by E. Birkbeck, Esq., M.P., about 1873. The house is situated in a picturesque and well-wooded park of about 70 acres, pleasantly situated near the river Bure. Horstead House, another Elizabethan residence, on the Bure, with a beautiful river view is the property of Admiral Corbett, C.B. A mile east of the village, and opposite Heggatt's Hall, is Heggatt (or Haggard) Street.
Horstead CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, with south aisle, and chancel. Adjoining the chancel is a chantry, belonging to the owners of Heggatt's Hall, and now used as an organ chamber and vestry. The church has, with the exception of the tower, been rebuilt at a cost of about £1500, and a new organ has been built at a further outlay of £150. The font is antique.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 10s., was consolidated with Coltishall in 1552, and remained so until 1880. The present rector is the Rev. Russell Day, M.A. The glebe house was rebuilt in 1847, when the tithes were commuted for £590 15s. 4d. The Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, are patrons of the living.
Horstead-cum-Stanninghall SCHOOL BOARD was formed in 1874, and now consists of E. Birkbeck, Esq., M.P. (chairman), Admiral J. Corbett (vice-chairman), S.B. Cooke, Esq., the Rev. R. Day, and Mr. J. Minns. Mr. Utting is clerk. The School was built in 1875, at a cost of £1000, for the accommodation of 100 children; the average attendance is 59.
The Poor's Land, 7 acres, is let for 30s. an acre, and the rents are distributed in coal.
POST from Norwich, viâ Coltishall. Wall Letter-Box cleared at 4.55 p.m.
Amies Robert Sharpe corn, coal, cake, hop and timber merchant, commission agent, vessel owner, and water carrier, &c. Coltishall bridge wharf, and at Norwich and Yarmouth Baldwin William joiner, builder and contractor, brick, tile, &c. manufacturer, lime-burner, flint, gravel, &c. merchant, timber merchant and saw mills, farmer, and road surveyor Barker Edmund, veternry. surgeon and cattle M.R.C.V.S. inspector, and at St. Faith's Birkbeck Edwd. Esq., The Hall, & 10 Upper Brook street, M.P., D.L., J.P. London Blane Captain Arthur Rodney, R.N. Heggatt hall Blofield George victualler, Recruiting Sergeant Inn Brown William farmer Cowan John parish clerk and tailor Cooke Samuel Benjamin miller and merchant, and at Hoveton St. John Cooper Mr Corbett Vice-Admiral John, C.B., R.N., J.P. Horstead house Day Rev. Russell, M.A. rector, The Rectory Falcon Michael estate agt. The Lodge Forder Mr Charles Foulger John blacksmith Frost John veterinary assistant Howes Chas. Jas. Albert railway clk Howes Mrs Charlotte Brd. schlmstrss Johnson Thomas head gamekeeper Johnson William tea dealer Ketterington Hezekiah farm bailiff, Home farm Ling George gamekeeper Minns John Spence farmer Norgate James grocer & pork butcher Norgate William Henry shoemaker Raven Mr Benjamin Rogers Ernest land agent, Norwich Rudling James shopkeeper Rye William farmer Stebbings Charles shoemaker Sutton George farmer Thorn Miss Elizabeth The Lodge Utting Sam John clerk to Schl. Board Utting Thos. Wltr. frmr. Stanninghall Wigmore John head gardener Wright Mr James Bridge cottage
WATER CONVEYANCE - R.S. Amies' vessels to and fro Yarmouth weekly
Note: in the original, the first 3 words are "HORSTEAD and STANNIGHALL".
See also the Horstead with Stanninghall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.