Hoveton St John
"HOVETON ST. JOHN, 7½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a village and parish, with 317 inhabitants, and 1766A. of land, exclusive of a lake or broad of 133 acres, near the river Bure. The Rev. T.C. Blofeld is owner of the soil, lessee of the tithes, and lord of the manors. His residence is Hoveton House, a handsome brick mansion, with Grecian pilasters, and an extensive lawn overlooking the Bure. The CHURCH stands on an acclivity, about half a mile east of the village, and has a brick tower, built in 1765. The benefice [is] a curacy, certified at £17, and consolidated with Hoveton St. Peter, in the incumbency of the Rev. T.C. Blofeld. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and also appropriator of the great tithes of both parishes." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
The name may be pronounced as Hofton.
See also Hoveton St Peter.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Hoveton St John was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Hoveton St John was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hoveton St John to another place.
Hoveton St John is in Tunstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Tunstead Hundred
- Description of Tunstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Hoveton St John has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of Claims: Hoveton St John.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1819.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Hoveton Saint John Inclosure Act, 1819.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Hoveton Saint John, in the county of Norfolk: 14 June 1819.
[Norwich, Sewell and Blake, solicitors, 1819]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG310183 (Lat/Lon: 52.71302, 1.418461), Hoveton St John which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1801 Census
- The number of families really is 22.
- 1851 Census
- "The decrease of population in Hickling and Hoveton St. John, is owing to the depressed state of agriculture in these Parishes having driven many labourers to emigrate and others to seek employment on the railway works now in progress near Hull."
- 1861 Census
- "TUNSTEAD. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the Tunstead District, which forms the "Tunstead and Happing Incorporation" for the support of the poor, is attributed to emigration and the migration of young persons to other parts."