Norfolk: Hoveton St Peter
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOVETON ST. PETER, 9 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a small parish of dispersed houses, with 137 inhabitants, and 945 acres of land. H.N. Burroughes, Esq., M.P., of Burlingham, is sole proprietor, and lessee of the tithes under the Bishop; but Wm. Burroughes, Esq., resides at Hoveton Hall, a white brick mansion, with a well-wooded and extensive park, in the vale of a small rivulet, which flows southward to the Bure, and divides this from Neatishead parish, in which the hall is situated.
The CHURCH stands on the south-west side of the park, and contains several handsome monuments of the Aufrere family. It was rebuilt of brick in 1624. The vicarage, certified at £17, is consolidated with that of Hoveton St. John, as noticed above [ie the entry for that parish]. The annual value of the joint livings in 1831 was £134. The great tithes are held on lease by the vicar, and all the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1841 for about £660 per annum.
Burroughes Wm., Esq. Hoveton Hall Goulder Mrs. Sarah Short Chas. gardener farmers. Burton Samuel Goulder Chas. Read Trivett
See also the Hoveton St Peter parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.