"HUNWORTH, in the vale of the Glaven, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Holt, has in its parish 234 souls, and 804 acres of land, belonging to the Dowager Lady Suffield, the lady of the manor, and patroness of the Church (St. Lawrence,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and consolidated with Stody, in the incumbency of the Rev. J. W. Flavell, who has here 6A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £152. 10s., awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Hanworth.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Holt, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Lawrence.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms and Burials.
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Baptisms 1729-1812, Marriages 1736-1811 and Burials 1729-1811.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hunworth to another place.
Hunworth is in Holt Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Holt Hundred
- Description of Holt Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Hunworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG070353 (Lat/Lon: 52.875398, 1.073997), Hunworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- After 1834 Hunworth became part of the Erpingham Union, and the workhouses were at Gimingham and Sheringham. These were replaced by a new workhouse at West Beckham in 1850.
- Overseers' Rates
Principal property occupiers and the amounts paid.
1770, 1780-1781, and 1792.
- Overseers' Payments, or Disbursements
Payments for outrelief, medical expenses, clothes, etc.
1776-1781, and 1787-1788.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1901 Census
- "Including Hunworth Green."