Hide

Ickburgh

hide
Hide

"ICKBURGH, or IGBURGH, is a small village, 6 miles N.N.E of Brandon, and 9 miles S. of Swaffham, including in its parish 220 inhabitants, and 1342 acres of land, in two farms belonging to Lords Berners and Ashburton, the alternate patrons of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 10½d., and united with Langford, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Raven, B.A. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £243 per annum. The CHURCH (St. Peter,) is a single pile of flint and pebbles, with a square tower and four bells. Ickburgh is by some antiquaries supposed to be the Icinia of Antoninus; but others have placed that Roman station at Oxburgh, and some at Colchester. Several Roman antiquities have been dug up in this vicinity, and among them are two urns, a mile-stone, and a pavement of flint stones. A House of Lepers, founded by Wm. Barentun, in the reign of Edward I., stood at the south end of the village, where its chapel was converted into cottages many years ago." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide

The name may also be spelled Igburgh, Ickborough and Igborough.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
topup

Church History

Church of St Peter
Description and pictures.
Church of St Peter
Services, etc.
Church of St Peter
Pictures of the church and its gargoyles.
topup

Church Records

Farrow, Charles W.
Ickburgh Church of England Parish Registers 1693-1837; transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 1987]
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Ickburgh was in Swaffham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Ickburgh which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Ickburgh is in Grimshoe Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Grimshoe Hundred
Description of Grimshoe Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Ickburgh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL810949 (Lat/Lon: 52.521496, 0.666132), Ickburgh which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18012234178
18113535199
18213539154
18312238197
184138--220
185140--245
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
186139--192
18714040185
18814242182
18913438181
19013232129
1911--32128

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1861 Census
"The decrease of population in Great Cressingham, Holme-Hale, and Igborough is attributed to labourers having left, owing to the lowness of wages, &c."