"INGHAM, 2 miles E. of Stalham, 9 miles S.E. by E. of North Walsham, and 16 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a scattered, but pleasant village, with several neat houses, occupied by the owners. Its parish has 509 inhabitants, and 1503A., of which 1000 are arable. The Church (Holy Trinity,) is a large and handsome Gothic fabric, with several antique monuments, two of which have the effigies of Sir Oliver de Ingham and Roger le Bois, the former of whom rebuilt the Church in 1360, and annexed to it the College, which he had founded here for a prior, a sacrist, and six canons of the Order of Trinity and St. Victor, for the redemption of captives from Turkey. . . . Previous to its being made collegiate, the Church was a rectory; but it is now a curacy, certified at £28, and augmented in 1810, '17, and '20, with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, all vested in land, except £89. 6s. 1d. still at interest. The Rev. Edward Wymer, B.A., is the incumbent, and the Bishop of Norwich is patron, and also appropriator of the tithes, . . . Here is a Baptist Chapel." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Ingham was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Ingham was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ingham to another place.
Ingham is in Happing Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Happing Hundred
- Description of Happing Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Ingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- A Chronology of Medieval Ingham
- Description, history and pictures.
This is a link to an archived copy.
- Bolingbroke, Leonard George
- Notes on Ingham Old Hall.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.16, 1907]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Ingham Inclosure Act, 1819.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Ingham, in the county of Norfolk.
- Land Allotment and Drainage
- See Hempstead near Stalham.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG390262 (Lat/Lon: 52.780132, 1.541948), Ingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1841 Census
- "The Return for Ingham includes 20 strangers attending the annual fair."
- 1861 Census
- "TUNSTEAD. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the Tunstead District, which forms the "Tunstead and Happing Incorporation" for the support of the poor, is attributed to emigration and the migration of young persons to other parts."
- 1901 Census
- "Including Calthorpe Street, and Ingham Corner."