Norfolk: Irstead


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

IRSTEAD, a parish and straggling village, 11 miles N.E. of Norwich, has 170 inhabitants, and 1065A. of land, including a broad of 114 acres in the river Ant, and 18A. 1R. 3P. in the Neatishead broad. Sir J.H. Preston, Bart., owns the greater part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, which, in Domesday Book, is called Orsteada, and was formerly held by the Glyn and Horner families; the latter of whom sold it to the late Sir T. Preston.

The CHURCH (St. Michael,) has recently been thoroughly repaired and beautified; the pews removed; the ancient carved oak benches, &c. restored; the east end paved with ornamental tiles, and a new east window of painted glass inserted. The beautifully executed designs in this and the west window are by Mr. Grant, of Coltishall.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and consolidated with Barton-Turf, in the gift of the Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev. John Gunn, whose predecessor, the Rev. Wm. Gunn, was author of "An Inquiry into the Origin and Influence of Gothic Architecture," (8vo. 1819;) and published a new edition of "Historia Brittonum," edited in the tenth century by Mark, the Hermit, with notes and illustrations. The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £360 per annum. The glebe here is 13A., and the tithes were commuted in 1839, for £202 per annum.

Henry Headley, a very elegant poet and critic, and a son of a late rector, was born here in 1766, but died in 1788, in his 22nd year. Wm. de Wykham was rector here in 1347, and afterwards bishop of Winchester.

The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1805, is 39A. 2R. 6P., on which turf is cut.


         Allen   John             wherry owner
         Edrich  Robert           yeoman
         Gunn    Rev. John, A.M.  Rectory
         Long    John Weeds       yeoman
         Smith   Rt.              farmer, Hall
         Ward    John             farmer

See also the Irstead parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2005