William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
KEMPSTONE parish, 1½ mile S. of Litcham, is in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
It had 46 inhabitants in 1881, living on 814 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1092. All the parish is the property of the Earl of Leicester, who is lord of the manor. Kempstone Lodge, a neat residence in a spacious lawn, is occupied by Mr. Horace Matthews Waters, who farms part of the parish; the rest of which is occupied by Mr. John Vincent Chamberlain, Manor Farm.
The CHURCH (St. Paul) is a small ivy-mantled structure, with nave, chancel, square tower, and one bell. It contains a piscina, an ancient font, and several tablets of the Fitzroy family.
The Earl of Leicester is patron of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £4 8s. 4d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. A.W. Langton, M.A., of Little Fransham, who has here 30 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £110, awarded in 1841.
LETTERS through Swaffham from Litcham. Litcham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Chamberlain John Vincent farmer Waters Horace Matthews farmer, Kempstone lodge
See also the Kempston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.