Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Norfolk: Kenninghall

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Norfolk: Kenninghall

Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk, 1850

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

KENNINGHALL, formerly known as Kings' Hall, from having been the seat of the East Anglian Kings, is a small town, holding a weekly market for cattle on Saturday; distant 18 miles S.W. of Norwich, 4 miles S.W. of Buckenham, and 3 miles E. of East Harling.

Boadicea, the British Queen of martial notoriety, had a castle here, wherein she held her courts; and the "good Queen Bess" selected Kenninghall Palace as one of her summer residences. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, which is an ancient demesne: previous to the middle of the 17th century, his grace's ancestors inhabited the palace (which at that period was pulled down), and long anterior to the time of Elizabeth, they occupied a mansion called East Hall, which stood upon the same site, as the Palatial residence, and its aged predecessor, the Royal castle.

Two annual FAIRS are held here, the one on July 18th, for cattle, and the other on September 30th, for sheep. The parish comprises an area of 3524 acres, and the population in 1841 was 1389.

POST-OFFICE, at Mark Mordey's. Letters delivered 8.30 a.m. and despatched to Norwich and all parts, via East Harling, at 5.30 p.m.

         Ackland   Robert           ironmonger and brazier
         Avis      Joseph           carpenter
         Bailey    Charles          carpenter
         Bailey    Geo.             'White Horse' (licensed to let horses, &c.)
         Banham    Cubitt S.        grocer & draper
         Barham    Eliz. and Dinah  milliners
         Barham    Robert           bricklayer
         Barker    Thomas           blacksmith
         Beales    Samuel           butcher
         Bond      William          poulterer
         Bowen     John             'George' (& carrier)
         Briggs    John             gardener
         Bryant    Richard          corn & coal mercht. agent to the
                                      Suffolk Amicable fire office
         Buxton    James            tailor
         Calver    J.C. and D.H.    solicitors, and agents to the Norwich
                                      Union fire and life office
         Clark     William          baker
         Clarke    Samuel           turner and patten maker
         Coe       Robert           grocer and draper
         Collings  James            'Crown' (& blacksmith)
         Cooke     Mrs. Hannah
         Cooke     Robert           tailor
         Crook     Robert           miller
         Daines    Robert           cooper
         Davy      John             cooper
         Davy      Robert           watchmaker
         Dent      Peter            surgeon
         Ellis     Ellen            school
         Foyster   John             painter, glazier, &c.
         Garrod    Benjamin         wheelwright
         Harvey    Robert           school and bookbinder
         Horne     John             shoemaker and currier
         Howell    Mr. Henry        (bapt. minister)
         Huggins   William          butcher
         Jackson   Robert           beer retailer
         Kendall   Maria            school (& boarding)
         Kent      George           registrar, relieving officer
         Linstead  George           saddler, &c.
         Long      Henry            miller
         Mallett   Henry            beer retailer
         Mordey    Mark             stationer, bookseller and postmaster
         Morley    James            parish clerk
         Moyse     George           shoemaker
         Murton    Robert           machine maker
         Napthen   Robert           wheelwright
         Newson    Charles          merchant
         Nunn      Richard          auctioneer
         Osborne   George           bricklayer
         Pigg      Alfred           grocer and draper
         Priest    Wm.              inland revenue officer
         Procter   Rev. Richard     (vicarage)
         Rackham   Thomas           master of Guiltcross Union Workhouse,
                                      and registrar of marriages
         Reeve     David            brickmaker
         Reeve     Mrs. Ann
         Rivett    Elizabeth        grocer, draper and brush maker
         Sayer     George           cabinet maker
         Smith     John             baker
         Smith     Robert           shoemaker
         Smith     Thomas           shoemaker
         Turner    Jph. G.          tea dealer & druggist
         Wade      John             whitesmith
         Wells     William          miller
         Wharton   Leonard          collector of taxes
         Womack    Micah            miller
         Womack    William          miller
         Woman     Henry            'Red Lion' (and butcher)
 
                             Farmers.
 
         Aldis     William          Long      Zedekiah (and maltster)
         Avis      Elizabeth        Reeve     David
         Avis      Joseph           Reeve     George
         Bilham    Stephen          Spurling  Daniel
         Bunn      John             West      Robert
         Coulson   John             Weston    John
         Coulson   John, jun.       Wharton   Leonard
         Cracknell William          Wretham   John
         Fincham   William          Youels    James  (and dealer)
         Green     John             Youels    Robert (and dealer)
         Holmes    Richard
 

CARRIERS to Norwich; Bowen, Tues. 4 aft.; also, Fisk, Monday and Thursday, 4 afternoon.


See also the Kenninghall parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2009