Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1933
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
KILVERSTONE is a parish, in the vale of the Thet river, 1½ miles east from Thetford junction station on the London and North Eastern railway, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Thetford rural district and county court district, hundred of Shropham, rural deanery of Thetford, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Andrew, situated near the Hall, and erected in the 12th century, is an ancient structure of flint and brick in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a round embattled western tower containing one bell, with the inscription "John Draper caste me 1624:" the church was restored and reseated in 1857, and in 1906-7 was completely restored by the late J. Vavasseur esq. C.B. at a cost of about £2,000: in the south wall is a memorial window erected in 1908 to the memory of Mrs. Vavasseur: there are 75 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £298, in the gift of the Church Patronage trustees, and held since 1929 by the Rev. Frederic William Ridwell M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge, who resides at Thetford.
Kilverstone Hall, the property and residence of Lord Fisher of Kilverstone M.A. who is lord of the manor and sole landowner, is a mansion of brick and flint, situated in an ancient park of 80 acres, with a lake 3 acres in extent, and enclosed on the north side by a low wall, the entrance being through large iron gates west of the Hall: the estate abounds with game. The river Thet forms the southern boundary.
The soil is sand and marl; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are rye, oats and roots. The area is 2,038 acres of land and 9 of water; the population in 1921 was 96.
Letters through Thetford, the nearest Money Order and Telegraph office
(For T.N. see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Fisher of Lord M.A. Kilverstone hall & East India
Kilverstone United Service club, London
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Humphreys Wm. head gamekeeper to Lord Fisher of Kilverstone
Nottingham Ephraim farmer
Nudds Rt. gardener to Lord Fisher of Kilverstone
* Rowe &
Buckingham farmers, Kilverstone lodge
The Telephone Number for Lord Fisher of Kilverstone was Thetford 22.
See also the Kilverstone parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.