William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
KILVERSTONE, 1¾ mile E. of Thetford, is a parish in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Thetford polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 85 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2026 acres of sandy land, and has a rateable value of £1620.
The parish is the property of John William Davy, Esq., J.P., owner of the Hall, a neat mansion of flint, in a pleasant park, extending down to the river. The Hall is at present occupied by George Hutchinson Hammond, Esq., as a shooting-box.
The CHURCH is a small edifice comprising nave, chancel, and low round tower. It has a fine Norman doorway, and contains several mural tablets of the Wright family, owners of the soil, with whom the present proprietors are connected by marriage. The east window is filled with richly painted glass.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 14s. 9d., is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Theodore Leupott, M.A., of Thetford, who has 26 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £142 in lieu of tithes.
This parish is in the Thetford Board School district.
POST from Thetford arrives at 7 a.m., returns at 7.30 p.m., returns Sundays at 11.30 a.m.
Hall John parish clerk and sexton
Hammond Geo. Hutchinson, Esq. The Hall
Sayer Waltr. Jno. stwrd. to Jno. Wm. Davy, Esq.
Sexton Daniel gamekeeper to G.H. Hammond
See also the Kilverstone parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.