Kirby Bedon


"KIRBY-BEDON, a village on an acclivity overlooking the vale of the Wensum, 3 miles S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 265 souls, and 1362A. of land. H.J. Stracey, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to Miss Woolsey, the Rev. W. Millett, and several smaller proprietors. The Hall, which was the seat of Sir Hanson Berney, Bart, was taken down a few years ago. The parish was formerly divided between two Churches, but that dedicated to St. Mary has been in ruins several centuries, though much of its walls and most of its circular tower still remain, finely clad with ivy. St. Andrew's is a small church, with the base of a round tower, surmounted by a wooden belfry." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]


See also Kirby Cane and Stow Bedon.


Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
    There was also a church dedicated to St Mary, but it has been in ruins for several centuries.

Church History

Church of St Andrew
Description and pictures.
Church of St Andrew
Services, etc.
Church of St Andrew
Picture of the church.
Fenn, Leslie
Notes on the history of Kirby Bedon Church (St Andrew).
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1972]
Church of St Mary
Description and pictures of the ruin.
Church of St Mary
Pictures of the ruin.

Church Records

These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
Churchwardens' Rates
Principal property occupiers and the amounts paid.
1792, 1802-1804, 1813-1814, and 1830-1831.
Churchwardens' Payments, or Disbursements
Payments for church repairs, communion bread and wine, etc.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records


Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Kirby Bedon was in Henstead Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Kirby Bedon which are provided by:




Historical Geography

Kirby Bedon is in Henstead Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
Description of Henstead Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Kirby Bedon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Kinder, Edward Herring
Kirby Bedon, Norfolk.
[Norwich, Jarrold and Sons, 1924]
Riviere, Michael
Steeplechases at Kirby Bedon.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.34, 1969]

Land and Property

Great Britain: Statute
Kirby Bedon Inclosure Act, 1812.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Kirby Bedon, in the county of Norfolk.
[George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1812]
Land Tax
Principal property owners and occupiers, and the amounts paid.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG280057 (Lat/Lon: 52.60108, 1.365759), Kirby Bedon which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.



These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year   Inhabited
Families Population
1801 34 34 198
1811 25 37 178
1821 28 46 201
1831 31 46 245
1841 50 -- 265
1851 56 -- 296
Year   Inhabited
Families Population
1861 61 -- 277
1871 63 63 241
1881 65 65 269
1891 68 70 330
1901 68 68 303
1911 -- 67 293

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.