White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
KIRSTEAD, 7 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 249 souls, and 1,009 acres of land. G. S. Kett, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The rest belongs to Chas. Kerrison, Esq., of Hill House; Bethel Hospital, in Norwich; Mr. Rt. B. Whall; and a few smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £334, in the gift of Emanuel College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Lewis.
Here was anciently a church (St. Stephen,) and rectory, called Langhall, and the parish is sometimes called Kirstead with-Langhall. The poor have 20s. a year left by Thos. Spooner, in 1630, out of land now belonging to G. S. Kett, Esq.
Andrews Michael farm steward, Hall
Bellman Rev. Edmund curate
Butcher Jas. miller
Freeman Wm. vict., Green Man
Kerrison Chas. Esq. Hill House
Whall Robt. B. gent.
Butcher Jas. sen.
Martin Wm. (Pevers)
See also the Kirstead parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.