William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
KIRSTEAD, 8 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, had in its parish 201 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1012 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1484 16s. 9d.; gross rental £1631 3s. It is in Loddon union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. C. Garrard, Esq., of Diss, is lord of the manor. The soil belongs to Viscount Canterbury, Charles Kerrison, Esq., Mr. W.D. Whall, and a few smaller owners. The Hall, an old Elizabethan mansion of red brick, belongs to Viscount Canterbury.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret), formerly a small building consisting of nave and chancel, and tower containing two bells, was thoroughly restored and rebuilt in 1864. The seats are poppy-headed benches, and the communion rails are of iron with brass finishings. In the chancel are four small windows filled with stained glass, some of them in memory of members of the Kerrison family, to whom here are also several mural tablets. A handsome stained window has recently been placed on the north side, in memory of the Rev. Jonathan Bates, late rector of this parish, by his widow. In 1857 two stone coffin lids were dug up in the churchyard. The Registers date from 1663.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and in the incumbency of the Rev. T. Galliers, M.A., who has a neat residence, recently enlarged, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £300, and about 38 acres of glebe.
Here was anciently another parish called Langhale, but its church (St. Christopher) was long ago demolished, and its rectory annexed to that of Kirstead, which is sometimes called Kirstead-with-Langhale.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1873, and consists of the following members: viz. Rev. Thomas Galliers, M.A. (chairman), Robert B.D. Whall, Henry Butcher, Uriah Tibbenham, and R.C. Reynolds. R. Yallop, of Brooke, is the clerk. The school is at present held in a cottage.
The poor have 20s. a year left by Thomas Spooner, in 1630, out of land belonging to Viscount Canterbury.
POST from Norwich.
Balls Robert shopkpr. & wheelwright Barnby John farmer, The Hall Burgess James farmer Butcher John farmer Dickerson Dennis thatcher Dickerson Wltr. basketmkr. & thatcher Galliers Rev. Thos., M.A. rector, Rectory Howell Henry farm steward Kerrison Chas. farmer & owner, Langhale house Moore Joshua farmer, Glebe farm Martins William farmer Pye Dennis pork butcher, farmer and parish clerk Riches Miss Susannah schoolmistress Sparkes Benjamin farmer Tibbenham Mrs Mary Ann victualler, Green Man Inn Titlow Simeon farmer Whall Robt. B. Dring farmer Whall Wm. Dring landowner
See also the Kirstead parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.